Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > March pump questions

Old 02-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
cdelap
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default March pump questions

So I just bought a 809HS and what a great job it did .... Once i got it primed, I think one issue I had was my mash was a bit dense I took advice for the LHBS to mash in at 1.25 gal instead of the 1.7 that I normally do but with all my dead space and HERMS coil I think i should have stuck to what worked before. But does anyone have any tips that help keep it primed also found now that I have the pump I will have to get a hop spider to keep the hops from getting sucked on to the screen and plugging the screen up while transferring to a fermenter.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
jayrodoh
Recipes 

Make sure the output is up so you can bleed the air out of the pump. The input plumbing should be bigger than the output and keep the pump as low as possible. This contributes to increased head pressure to keep it pumping. If you have a pressure control valve, make sure it's on the output side.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Copperpots_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 on the hop spider! Mine only cost me $11 to make, and about 20 minutes of my time. I use the paint strainer bags, and try to reuse them. Pain in the butt to clean, but it works great in keeping hop sediment out!

Old 02-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
cdelap
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperpots_Brewing View Post
+1 on the hop spider! Mine only cost me $11 to make, and about 20 minutes of my time. I use the paint strainer bags, and try to reuse them. Pain in the butt to clean, but it works great in keeping hop sediment out!
I never had trouble with leaf hops and gravity but with a pump and a plate chiller it looks like the path I may want to take. Did you make yours out of stainless or PVC?

Old 02-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
Chrisl77
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used one of these http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ec...&storeId=10051. About 5 minutes with a dremel to cut the bottom off the inside piece and i was all set. I used a piece of 1/4 aluminum rod that i put threads on one end to secure it with some stainless nuts but you could get some stainless threaded rod off the internet instead.