What's the proper way to airlock an orange cap on a better bottle? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > What's the proper way to airlock an orange cap on a better bottle?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 03:33 AM   #1
Dagobah
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Richardson, Texas
Posts: 31


Went to rack my first batch last night into a better bottle. My kit came with an orange cap. I had assumed my airlock would fit into one of the two nozzles, but that wasn't the case.

As a fix, I use a my stopper to connect the two. This can't be the correct method. Have also not seen any bubbling in the airlock since doing this. I'm worried it's not a great seal.

What's the correct way to airlock with this type of orange top?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
kh54s10's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Tiverton, Rhode Island
Posts: 10,630
Liked 1582 Times on 1301 Posts


I've never used one but you could/should set up a blow off tube for the start of your fermentation. You could actually leave the blow off tube as your airlock.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:43 AM   #3
Brulosopher
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Fresno, CA
Posts: 2,932
Liked 357 Times on 261 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobah
Went to rack my first batch last night into a better bottle. My kit came with an orange cap. I had assumed my airlock would fit into one of the two nozzles, but that wasn't the case.

As a fix, I use a my stopper to connect the two. This can't be the correct method. Have also not seen any bubbling in the airlock since doing this. I'm worried it's not a great seal.

What's the correct way to airlock with this type of orange top?
Those caps are intended for use with blow off tubes... though I do not see any reason your setup wouldn't work
__________________
Brulosophy is a place to experiment with home brews. If you've had a crazy idea or wondered how something worked please visit us at Brulosophy.com!

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #4
Dagobah
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Richardson, Texas
Posts: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
I've never used one but you could/should set up a blow off tube for the start of your fermentation. You could actually leave the blow off tube as your airlock.
That's what I thought, but this was a wine/mead kit, so I was second guessing myself.

I'll likely buy one of the rubber stoppers for use with the airlock while it clears.

Thanks though. Actually had nightmares I ruined the batch...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
Brulosopher
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Fresno, CA
Posts: 2,932
Liked 357 Times on 261 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobah

That's what I thought, but this was a wine/mead kit, so I was second guessing myself.

I'll likely buy one of the rubber stoppers for use with the airlock while it clears.

Thanks though. Actually had nightmares I ruined the batch...
Those nightmares end after about a year of brewing...
__________________
Brulosophy is a place to experiment with home brews. If you've had a crazy idea or wondered how something worked please visit us at Brulosophy.com!

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:45 AM   #6
Cacaman
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Laredo, TX
Posts: 528
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts


Man I couldn't stop laughing when I saw your rig! Anyways, this is what my haus ale looks like right now in the fermenter:

__________________
Cacaman cheap keezer build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post

“Get your beer off the yeast cake on day 7 or your beer will crawl out of the fermenter and eat your youngest child”

“Your beer will be the equivalent of rhinoceros urine unless it sits on the primary yeast cake for at least 4 weeks.”

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
Dagobah
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Richardson, Texas
Posts: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacaman View Post
Man I couldn't stop laughing when I saw your rig! Anyways, this is what my haus ale looks like right now in the fermenter
Man! Did you drill it out or just use brute force?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
lschiavo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 4,549
Liked 1029 Times on 699 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacaman
Man I couldn't stop laughing when I saw your rig! Anyways, this is what my haus ale looks like right now in the fermenter:
Exactly what I use with my BB's except I prefer the 3 piece airlocks. Warm water will help soften the cap but all of mine were just forced in.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
crazyseany
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Smithville, Ohio
Posts: 440
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


I use an airlock in mine too... Put it in the hole that the white cap is on...

Take airlock out and in theory shove your racking tube in there and blow on the angled one to start your siphon (I always use my auto siphon)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
Cacaman
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Laredo, TX
Posts: 528
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobah View Post
Man! Did you drill it out or just use brute force?
Had to pop its cherry using brute force

Maybe we have different models of these caps, but mine didn't require THAT much force.
__________________
Cacaman cheap keezer build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post

“Get your beer off the yeast cake on day 7 or your beer will crawl out of the fermenter and eat your youngest child”

“Your beer will be the equivalent of rhinoceros urine unless it sits on the primary yeast cake for at least 4 weeks.”

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proper yeast... VGMeads Mead Forum 4 06-23-2011 10:45 PM
not sure if I have proper fermentation jitup Mead Forum 14 06-05-2011 10:09 PM
Proper Way To Mix Back Sweetening Honey In Carboy? jguy898 Mead Forum 1 01-08-2011 05:09 AM
Best way to airlock a 1 gallon glass bottle? Cdbrew Mead Forum 7 08-28-2010 07:54 AM
First proper mead, and I'm pretty sure it got infected. TerapinChef Mead Forum 22 01-16-2009 04:41 AM


Forum Jump