Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Advice for a first all-grain batch?

Old 10-22-2005, 05:23 AM   #1
eastwood44mag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Advice for a first all-grain batch?

Seeing as how I can get grain for 85 cents a pound, versus $3 and change on extract, I'm wondering just how difficult it would be to go from extract to grain. Assume that I know nothing about the process (this will save all of us a great deal of embarassment). That being said, can anyone give me an idiot's guide to real brewing? Thanks much.

Old 10-22-2005, 06:28 AM   #2
gibfried

Recipes 

Go here http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14-1.html

This will give you all you need to start.

Primary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Aging: Ugly Monk Belgium Abbey
Drinking: Heavenly Honey Wheat,Chocolate Stout, London Porter, Big Fat Fatty's Oatmeal Stout, Pete's Porter, California Not So Common, Ugly Monk Belgium Abbey, Maple Brown
Upcoming Brew: Bass Clone, Fosters (a light drink for those who think beer has to be light).

Old 10-22-2005, 01:58 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 134 Posts

Don't try anything fancy. I'd start with a recipe that was mostly pale 2 row and do a single infusion at 152F. If you like ambers and milds, they are a good place to start.

Don't worry about water hardness, pH, etc. your first run.

Borrow a lauter tub if possible, so you aren't using untried equipment.

Old 10-23-2005, 01:33 AM   #4
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

http://cruisenews.net/brewing/infusion/

The simple, easy to understand methods presented here are great for a first timer and to show you what it will be all about.

Old 10-23-2005, 11:40 PM   #5
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerNeedOfBeer

The simple, easy to understand methods presented here are great for a first timer and to show you what it will be all about.
I'll second this link...convinced me to go all-grain and presents a pretty cheap and basic set-up that can be expanded as you feel the need...

Old 10-29-2005, 05:35 AM   #6
Lost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I'll second palmer's book. Simple setup with a cooler and a copper manifod.. you can't go wrong.

It really is a very simple process.. just time consuming. Make sure you don't sparge to quickly.. and don't get your strike temp to high. It's better to raise the intitial mash temp with boiling water than to have to lower it with ice. Also, try not to aerate the mash.. while the boil will remove all oxygen from the worth it will not affect oxidation of wort compounds that occured prior to the boil (just something to think about). Be conservative with your efficiency estimates, figure maybe 65% for your first ag batch (it will probably be higher but be safe).. if you don't want the higher gravity than results from a higher efficiency then just keep sparging to get a higher volume (you can also water it down during or after the boil). Use a hydrometer and check the runnings toward the end of the sparge.. stop sparging if the runnings fall at or below 1.008. Be sure to check the SG and volume before the boil so you can calculate your efficiency so you know what to expect in the future. Lastly, keep you sparge temps below 175F or you run the risk of tannin extraction (tea tasting beer). Really, it is a surprisingly simple process.. have fun and let us know how it turns out.

Old 10-30-2005, 12:22 AM   #7
snaproll

Recipes 

Default Advise for first all grain.

Midwest Homebrewing has a real good video ( VHS or DVD) free with any purchase, and it will help a lot. It's one thing to read or be told, but when you actually see it done that is education.
Go to www.midwestsupplies.com and order something ( don't tell me you don't need anything) and ask for the free DVD. Or perhaps they will just sell the video I don't know.
You will be glad you did.

Old 10-30-2005, 02:25 AM   #8
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerNeedOfBeer

i third this link. very simple, easy to understand, and makes good beer.
just enjoy it. no pressure. once you do an all-grain batch, you'll wonder why you never did it before. and expect the unexpected. something will not go right, but your brew will still be great. we ALL have one of those stories to tell

Old 10-30-2005, 03:49 PM   #9
Rookie
Recipes 

You won't regret going all grain. It gives you 100% control of your brewing.

Old 11-01-2005, 09:01 PM   #10
andre the giant

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Everyone else here is giving good suggestions, I'd just add this. Buy enough ingredients to do several batches, and brew them in pretty rapid sucession. Like once a week, for three weeks. That will allow you to "get the feel for it."

And don't worry. My first all grain batch should have been a disaster! I think I did everything wrong... and it was still the best beer I had ever made. (23rd batch) Since then, things have just got better and better.

Batch #59-Kolsch (Secondary)
Batch #60-Blueberry Ale (Primary)