National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Let's say I'm a dummy (electric brewing)

Old 02-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
Homercidal
Badass Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3018 Times on 2107 Posts
Likes Given: 1835

I have seen a few dual element designs. They are very similar to any electric system but simply require installing 2 elements instead of one and using 2 separate circuits.

There is a lot of information out there on electric. Just do the mechanical stuff the same and modify the wiring to reflect a 120V installation for each element.

As I said before, I HIGHLY recommend building with a GFCI either inline or in the breaker box. 20 Amp GFI breakers are very inexpensive.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
Homercidal
Badass Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3018 Times on 2107 Posts
Likes Given: 1835

What I would look into is mounting the elements across each other, like a plus sign, with one element sitting just above the other.

How you actually mount the element is up to you. Search for various mounting options.

Personally, I'm planning on soldering a large nut onto the side of my kettle and screwing the element in place in side a waterproof box to protect the wires.

The actual wiring is a piece of cake, really. There is a very simple PWM circuit that works in conjunction with a relay to power the element. That is all you need for a BK.

Supply the 120V to the relay, and wire the PWM to the relay as well. The PWM circuit fires the relay more or less as you turn the knob.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #13
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGreenEric View Post
...And finally I never said I was stupid, I said let's say I'm a dummy just to see what kind of basic/simple solutions I would be presented with.
good enough i suppose...

the no soldering or welding thing is going to be your main problem (unless you are interested in heat sticks; not my cup of tea but to each their own)... its difficult to get a heating element, let alone several, to seal against the rounded surface of a kettle without installing some sort of threaded bulkhead to screw it into. none of the weldless heating element builds i have seen were very mechanically sound or leak proof, which is what i want when dealing with thousands of watts of electricity inside gallons of hot water.

if you wanted to answer the rest of the questions i asked, we might be able to give more specific info...

Old 02-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My ports are soldered, but all my elements are weldless (lock nut with stock element gasket). They've never leaked and have been through 2 years worth of brewing. I think weldless is perfectly acceptable for elements.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought