Doomsday preppers anyone??? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Doomsday preppers anyone???

Old 02-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2007
, Boston Bomber#1 place of death...
Liked 163 Times on 125 Posts

Anybody watch this show? It's pretty wacky, but these people are really really prepared. I have a friend that's stockpiling some food and has a few guns with lots of bullets. He's not saying if the ****'s gonna hit the fan, but when. I'm not a doomsday kinda guy, but I have been thinking, maybe I should do something..Any of you preparing for the end??

Old 02-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
fifelee

Recipes 

Dec 2006
Vaughn, MT
Liked 40 Times on 27 Posts

I raise wheat and always leave a couple thousand pounds in the bin. That will feed my family for a long time. Guns are also a given on the farm. Many of my ancestors (Germans farming in Russia) starved when the Russian government took their crop. While I'm not really worried about such a thing happening now, better safe then sorry. Better to go down shooting then starve to death

Old 02-19-2012, 01:57 AM   #3
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
, Maryland, The Tax Me State
Liked 527 Times on 400 Posts

No, but then, I don't rush out to buy milk and bread when it snows either. I've got plenty to worry about everyday than worrying about then end of civilization.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:36 AM   #4
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Isle of Staten
Liked 854 Times on 626 Posts

My homebrewing literally bought me and my family a "safe house" if it's ever needed. My friend who is a total survivalist nut said we are more than welcome to make our way to his upstate NY home if the crap ever hits the fan. When I told him that I can make a basic beer as long as he has malted barley, he bought 500 lbs and stores it in some crazy sealed bins he bought. He wants me to plant hops up there this year also.

As far as guns, well both of us have that taken care of.

Pennsyltucky Likes This 
Old 02-19-2012, 04:37 AM   #5
brewthunda
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Portland, OR
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

The show goes to great lengths to make those folks look wackier than they are. I saw an article where they interviewed the girl in Texas who "feared an international fuel supply collapse" and talked about shooting her cat. In the article she said that the producers asked her what she was prepping for and she gave them a long list, with the number one being "another Katrina". The producers kept asking her questions about a fuel supply collapse and edited the footage to make her look obsessed. She also said that they kept asking her about killing her cats until they they had enough footage to put together something equally wacky. She said the producer offered her $1,000 if she would shoot her cat on camera. She was pretty offended by that.

After reading that it makes me think that all of the situations that the people say they are propping for are pretty much manufactured by the show.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:45 AM   #6
JoeyChopps

Recipes 

Apr 2011
warner robins, ga
Liked 280 Times on 190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewthunda
The show goes to great lengths to make those folks look wackier than they are. I saw an article where they interviewed the girl in Texas who "feared an international fuel supply collapse" and talked about shooting her cat. In the article she said that the producers asked her what she was prepping for and she gave them a long list, with the number one being "another Katrina". The producers kept asking her questions about a fuel supply collapse and edited the footage to make her look obsessed. She also said that they kept asking her about killing her cats until they they had enough footage to put together something equally wacky. She said the producer offered her $1,000 if she would shoot her cat on camera. She was pretty offended by that.

After reading that it makes me think that all of the situations that the people say they are propping for are pretty much manufactured by the show.
It's funny that this comes up kinda off subject but there's a cool article on cracked.com about how prodercers lead people into saying what the want them too and editing to make reality show seems crazyer than they realty are

Old 02-19-2012, 04:50 AM   #7
BIGREDIOWAN
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Norwalk, IA
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah, but did the producers put 55,000 lbs of food in that one dudes shipping container at his house that would feed 22 people for 15 years?! I agree that on some level you should have extra food and water in case of a natural disaster, but at the same time you can't worry about the end of days your entire life. Enjoy it, it's pretty short.

Rolling Hills Brewing Co.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-m...-build-261067/

Old 02-19-2012, 04:58 AM   #8
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Isle of Staten
Liked 854 Times on 626 Posts

I was involved in filming a reality episode of a baking show. They baked a cake in the shape of my friend's working brewing sculpture. Long story short, they filmed us doing a little "cheers" with forks-full of the cake like 3 times until they decided they had the right shot. They didn't even put it on the show!

"Reality" tv is a joke.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:37 AM   #9
JoeyChopps

Recipes 

Apr 2011
warner robins, ga
Liked 280 Times on 190 Posts

Agreed

Old 02-19-2012, 05:44 AM   #10
lumpher
Recipes 

Jul 2009
texas
Liked 265 Times on 226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREDIOWAN View Post
Yeah, but did the producers put 55,000 lbs of food in that one dudes shipping container at his house that would feed 22 people for 15 years
i saw that 1, and the math they use is not the same i use. 50k lbs would feed them for 15 years, but when they bug out, they'll take 10k lbs, and that will feed them for 10 years... hmm... 50k for 15, or 10k for 10. i guess maybe they'll only take the most nutritious stuff, maybe?