Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Using Carbonation Drops

Old 02-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
roxy35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Using Carbonation Drops

I have a thread going from earlier today where I believe I bottled my Belgian Tripel way too soon, being somewhat tricked into believing my fermentation was complete. Anyhow, I think I'll be using carbonation drops soon and need some advice from those that use them.

I have already bottled 25 Belgian Tripels and the style calls for a CO2 volume of 3.3. Now, I already added the priming sugar, but out of fear of bottle bombs (fermentation is believed to still be going on, PLUS the priming sugar now creates a larger risk), I am venting the bottles ever so slightly to allow the CO2 to escape.

Once my bottles reach the desired FG I have to deal with recarbing the bottles. I cannot do priming sugar again because I cannot evenly distribute it.

If I use Carbonation Drops, what sort of Carb level will I be receiving? Like I said, 3.3 is my goal. I used 90 grams of sugar for my 25 bottles, which is somewhat. Will 1 drop do this? Will I need 2 per bottle?

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I'm going to take a stab at this but I wouldn't intentionally carb anything in "regular" bottles past Co2 volume of 3.0. Why do you believe the primary fermentation is still going on? I would use the coopers carbonation drops and only use 1 tablet per 12oz bottle.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:33 AM   #3
roxy35
Recipes 

Well, my FG is around 1.03. That is the main reason. It's been there for about a week...I assumed it was done but many other posters say there is no way.

Long story short, I bottled and now am concerned about the ensuing explosions.

I think 3.3 is perfectly acceptable and even preferred for the Belgian style - atleast that's what my instructions say.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:59 AM   #4
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I think it is acceptable if you have the right equipment i.e. a corny keg or Belgian glass bottles. 12oz bottles are not really meant to be pressurized to that level. What was the OG of your brew?

Old 02-19-2012, 04:02 AM   #5
roxy35
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyBrew View Post
I think it is acceptable if you have the right equipment i.e. a corny keg or Belgian glass bottles. 12oz bottles are not really meant to be pressurized to that level. What was the OG of your brew?

Yeah, I think you are right. Better not to risk it anyway.

OG was 1.07...I have my bottles vented for now back in the chamber at a higher temp (77). Before it never exceeded 70. I thought that would have been OK but I've read lately about the Belgian style needing the warmer temps.