Priming sugar in keg - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Priming sugar in keg

Old 02-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
Liked 50 Times on 24 Posts

I put some priming sugar in my keg because my co2 lines were all being used. Also I never done it before do I thought I would give it a try.

I had the extract recipe from Northernbrewer called chinook ipa. I put 4 ounces of priming sugar in the keg, which after I did I thought I had messed up. I read a little and it really seemed like I put too much in.

I waited 2 weeks, let it chill, purged the keg, set it to about 6psi, poured..........

Nothing but perfection.

The carbonation was perfect and the beer tasted great.

Just wanted I let ya know. Priming sugar in the keg works just fine.
Ęgir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ęgir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
, Maryland, The Tax Me State
Liked 527 Times on 400 Posts

Yep

Old 02-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Special Hops
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Kanatenah
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Yea I do it all the time.
Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

Old 02-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
badbrew
Recipes 

Dec 2011
l.a., ca
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Yeah I'm doing 2 oz from now on to keep men on deck and to save on co2 fills. Coffee mug, 2 oz corn sugar, 3/4 cup di, microwave for 1.5, freezer for 5 and pour.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:00 AM   #5
Chamuco
Recipes 

Dec 2011
San Rafael, CA
Liked 161 Times on 81 Posts

That's a big 10-4 Kmcogar.

I usually force carbonate and recently primed a keg of a Red Tail Ale Clone (since they bottle condition RTA). It turned out amazing! The first pint was cloudy and then the rest has been clear.....well clear for a green beer. I guess the only downside would be the wait. I was drinking a forced-carbonated IPA that I had brewed a week after the RTA while I was waiting for the RTA to naturally carbonate.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
tektonjp
Recipes 

Nov 2010
ohmihachiman, Japan
Liked 89 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmcogar View Post
I put some priming sugar in my keg because my co2 lines were all being used. Also I never done it before do I thought I would give it a try.

I had the extract recipe from Northernbrewer called chinook ipa. I put 4 ounces of priming sugar in the keg, which after I did I thought I had messed up. I read a little and it really seemed like I put too much in.

Nothing but perfection.

The carbonation was perfect and the beer tasted great.
It seems to go back and forth about the amount of sugar needed, some saying half the regular amount. My own experience is that the same amount as I would use in bottling is fine. Yours seems to show that as well. Cheers!

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield