Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apfelwein Ruined?

Old 02-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
piernas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Apfelwein Ruined?

I started two batches if apfelwein about 8 months ago, and they have been sitting in my closet since then. I am excited because I have never aged apfelwein past 3 or 4 months, but I am worried because the only reason I have made it this far is because I haven't been brewing at all and have possibly neglected these two batches a bit too much. Here is why I am concerned about each batch.

First batch: Apfelwein bubbled into the airlock during ferrmentation. I did nothing about it, and there didn't appear to be an issue (a visible one) after three or so months, but now there is a ring of mold (about as thick a a straw) around the inside of the airlock. The apfelwein looks fine, though.

Second batch: I'm not sure if the airlock has a leak, but I noticed several times that the liquid in the airlock was too low and had to add some. I have not been checking them often at all, so there is a possibility that the liquid (diluted starsan) was low for a few weeks. Again, though, the apfelwein looks fine.

So, what do you think? Should I just taste them?

Old 02-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2840 Times on 1686 Posts
Likes Given: 3500

Uh, yeah you should just taste them...how else are you going to determine if anything is wrong?

Mold in an airlock doesn't mean there's anything wrong in your fermenter......

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
piernas
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick reply, Revvy. The ridiculousness of my question hit me as soon as I hit the post button. Apfelwein for breakfast, coming up.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
TwoGunz
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by piernas

So, what do you think? Should I just taste them?
Hell yes! And bottle or keg that stuff! Airlocks will evaporate, so you might need to top them off from time to time.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
piernas
Recipes 

Well, they both taste fine. Guess I was just looking for an excuse to not have to bottle them. I had to sell my kegerator a while back, and the thought of bottling is terrible. But having 10 gallons of apfelwien to sip on will help me get through the day.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by piernas
Well, they both taste fine. Guess I was just looking for an excuse to not have to bottle them. I had to sell my kegerator a while back, and the thought of bottling is terrible. But having 10 gallons of apfelwien to sip on will help me get through the day.
If its that hard I'm sure we can find someone to take it off your hands

Old 02-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
GDRMaille
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atek

If its that hard I'm sure we can find someone to take it off your hands
+1 to that!