first BIAB attempt - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > first BIAB attempt

Old 02-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Cleveland, Ohio

Trying a 3 gallon Irish red for my first BIAB attempt. Any tips?

Old 02-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Adeering
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Sherwood, Arkansas
Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts

Make sure you have a good grain bag, I used a extra large course bag from AHS and had a lot of sediment in the fermenter, Also have a good thermometer and technique planned for holding the mash temp. My thermometer wasnt great and gave mis readings and my temp was off, so efficiency was bad. Last stir alot at the beginning to get a stable temp. We didnt stir enough and temp continued to rise so we thought we were in the 154 range but it rose up to the 160s
Kegged: None :(
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Pumpkin Ale, Unknown

Old 02-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
stamandster
Recipes 

Jun 2011
springfield, ma
Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts

Stir your mash really well to get even distribution of heat throughout the grain. Heat water probably 7-10 degree's higher than your target temp. And if it's too hot stir vigorously to get down to temp. Cover the pot to maintain temps!

You'll get more points if you do a pseudo sparge with some hot water over the grain bag from a tea kettle or something. Get a colander large enough for your pot and place the grain bag in it over the pot. Sparge with enough to get your calculated pre-boil volume. Squeezing does help get some of the lingering sugars out.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
ElDuderino
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Portland, Or
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Try to find a bag that fits your kettle so that the grain can come in contact with all the brewing liquor. Mash for 75 minutes. I use tastybrew.com 's calculator to figure out my strike water temps. After mashing, lift the bag off the bottom and raise the temperature of the wort to 175 degrees (higher than 170, but when you lower the bag it will drop in temp because of the cooler grain), lower the bag and stir gently but well for a minute or so. This helps rinse more sugars of the grains. A dunk sparge in a seperate kettle helps, but may be adding another layer of complexity for your first batch, which should be easy.

Use Whirlfloc 10 to 15 minutes from the end of boil. It will really help settle out proteins.

Don't get upset if the numbers you get are a little different from what you set out for. (1.050 instead of 1.055).

Have fun with it!

Old 02-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
BOBTHEukBREWER
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Why not mash in the pot to enable effective stirring and temperature control - and then transfer to the bag - keep recycling runnings until they are crystal clear.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
stamandster
Recipes 

Jun 2011
springfield, ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBTHEukBREWER View Post
Why not mash in the pot to enable effective stirring and temperature control - and then transfer to the bag - keep recycling runnings until they are crystal clear.
If he's only got one pot it's kinda hard to do that You'd be mashing in the pot anyways w normal BIAB

Old 02-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Cleveland, Ohio

Things couldn't have gone better! Got better than expected efficiency. Mash temp held well. My Colorado is a bit off, but I'll take it. Thanks for everyone's help. Love these boards!

Old 02-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
enkamania
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2010
Seattle, WA
Liked 71 Times on 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkbrew View Post
My Colorado is a bit off
Not familiar with the term Colorado. Is this an auto correct from color?

Old 02-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #9
stamandster
Recipes 

Jun 2011
springfield, ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkamania View Post
Not familiar with the term Colorado. Is this an auto correct from color?
I was curious about that too. maybing Coloring was turned into Colorado?

Old 02-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #10
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Cleveland, Ohio

Wow!? I guess I shouldn't assume my typing skills are up to par on a tablet! Yes, Colorado is auto correct for color. Why want it recognize the word "color"? Ha