Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Moving to Electric

Old 02-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Grzebyk26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Moving to Electric

I am currently am using a 48qt Cloeman cooler for my mash tun and I am looking to go all electric. I have 3 stainless steel 15 gallon kettles. I alerady have one March pump and am looking to purshase another. I am hoping that you guys can help me out with pricing equipment and putting everything together. My budget as of right now is around $1000.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Brickout
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 10 Posts

Start reading the Electric brewing section. It's the best place to start.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Grzebyk26
Recipes 

Thank you! That site is awesome. I am still trying to figure out if I am goin to try and put this together by myself. I am also trying to figure out what i do want and what i dont want.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
l3asturd
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Get some good ideas from Kal at theelectricbrewery.com. You can just click on a small portion of the overall proect and get a parts list and estimate of cost. They are using the Auber PIDs and CAMCO elements, which are not that expensive.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
Grzebyk26
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3asturd View Post
Get some good ideas from Kal at theelectricbrewery.com. You can just click on a small portion of the overall proect and get a parts list and estimate of cost. They are using the Auber PIDs and CAMCO elements, which are not that expensive.
It really is a great site. I have been reading it all day. How important is it to have those specific PIDs and how important is it to have a temp probe for the boil kettle?

Old 02-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 496

I'd suggest that you use the Auberins PID SYL-2352 and one of their RTD temp probes for your setup.

Depending on what you want to achieve and how complex a system you want to end up with (Also the power feed that you will have available) there are dozens of ways to implement a plan. In most cases, there is no need for a temp probe in the BOIL kettle.

Please give us some idea of what you want to achieve.

EDIT: I said HLT by mistake. I corrected to say BOIL.

Reason: Fix an error

Old 02-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
Grzebyk26
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
I'd suggest that you use the Auberins PID SYL-2352 and one of their RTD temp probes for your setup.

Depending on what you want to achieve and how complex a system you want to end up with (Also the power feed that you will have available) there are dozens of ways to implement a plan. In most cases, there is no need for a temp probe in the BOIL kettle.

Please give us some idea of what you want to achieve.

EDIT: I said HLT by mistake. I corrected to say BOIL.
I am trying to build a electric HERMS. I want the MLT and HLT to be temp controled. Still havent found a reason to control the temp of the boil kettle. I also have 2 march pumps that I want to be incorperated into the set up.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
lzrdkng14
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzebyk26

I am trying to build a electric HERMS. I want the MLT and HLT to be temp controled. Still havent found a reason to control the temp of the boil kettle. I also have 2 march pumps that I want to be incorperated into the set up.
Do you mean you just have bk element running on full power the whole time?
Fermentation progress photos

Old 02-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
Dhruv6911
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I moved to electric in terms of heating element and i am very happy. No more propane or big things to move, just set the pot on some granite and plug in. Go watch a show and come back with boiling water... by the time you do the mash the sparge water is already up to temp... works perfectly.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:47 AM   #10
Grzebyk26
Recipes 

I apologize for being unclear. I am trying to make something along the lines of The electric brewery without the timer built in. I alread have a stand 3 SS kettles and 2 march pumps. I am just trying to do it for a little cheaper than their sysetm.