Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Bottle Filler

Old 02-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
AaronMaine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottle Filler

last time I bottled beer the tip of the bottle filler was clogged pretty good with sediment when I was done. It took forever to clean it as the tip does not remove. In fact I am some what skeptical that I cleaned out all the sediment. The tip is black so you cant see if there is anything in there or not. Any suggestions for a newbie on cleaning this in the future?

Old 02-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2857 Times on 1691 Posts
Likes Given: 3507

What brand of bottle filler do you own that the tip isn't removable? I've owned 3 of them and the tips on all of them were removable, and the spring and the black tip popped out. In fact the reason I've owned three of them, is that a couple times the spring or the black tip has gone right down the disposal while I was cleaning them.

This is the standard one I use.

What's yours like?

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
FastTalker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Are you transferring the beer into a bottling bucket? You may be transferring to much of the sediment into it.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
AaronMaine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
What brand of bottle filler do you own that the tip isn't removable? I've owned 3 of them and the tips on all of them were removable, and the spring and the black tip popped out. In fact the reason I've owned three of them, is that a couple times the spring or the black tip has gone right down the disposal while I was cleaning them.

This is the standard one I use.

What's yours like?
not sure of the brand, it came in a kit from northern brewer. But it does not come off

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120217_120257.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	48475

Old 02-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
AaronMaine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastTalker
Are you transferring the beer into a bottling bucket? You may be transferring to much of the sediment into it.
yes, and I do believe I transfered too much

Old 02-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
FastTalker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMaine View Post
yes, and I do believe I transfered too much
So, in regards to your original question, this shouldn't be a problem in the future if you are careful not to transfer too much sediment.

Giving the bottle filler a good soak in PBW should help loosen any lodged sediment.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:04 AM   #7
AaronMaine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastTalker

So, in regards to your original question, this shouldn't be a problem in the future if you are careful not to transfer too much sediment.

Giving the bottle filler a good soak in PBW should help loosen any lodged sediment.
Thanks, I bottled tonight and was a lot more careful and was fine.....I hate wasting my brew lol, thanks again

Old 02-18-2012, 01:31 AM   #8
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 158

I would suggest replacing you filler with one that comes apart for better cleaning soon. They are relatively cheap.