Bottle Filler - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Bottle Filler
Cool Brewing Corny 5G & Mini Giveaway
Sign-up To NEW HBT Article Newsletter - Brewing Articles Direct To You!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
AaronMaine
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 25
Default Bottle Filler

last time I bottled beer the tip of the bottle filler was clogged pretty good with sediment when I was done. It took forever to clean it as the tip does not remove. In fact I am some what skeptical that I cleaned out all the sediment. The tip is black so you cant see if there is anything in there or not. Any suggestions for a newbie on cleaning this in the future?


AaronMaine is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,866
Liked 3143 Times on 1860 Posts
Likes Given: 3879

Default

What brand of bottle filler do you own that the tip isn't removable? I've owned 3 of them and the tips on all of them were removable, and the spring and the black tip popped out. In fact the reason I've owned three of them, is that a couple times the spring or the black tip has gone right down the disposal while I was cleaning them.

This is the standard one I use.


What's yours like?


__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
FastTalker
Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
FastTalker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 159
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Are you transferring the beer into a bottling bucket? You may be transferring to much of the sediment into it.
FastTalker is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
AaronMaine
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
What brand of bottle filler do you own that the tip isn't removable? I've owned 3 of them and the tips on all of them were removable, and the spring and the black tip popped out. In fact the reason I've owned three of them, is that a couple times the spring or the black tip has gone right down the disposal while I was cleaning them.

This is the standard one I use.

What's yours like?
not sure of the brand, it came in a kit from northern brewer. But it does not come off

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120217_120257.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	48475
AaronMaine is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
AaronMaine
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastTalker
Are you transferring the beer into a bottling bucket? You may be transferring to much of the sediment into it.
yes, and I do believe I transfered too much
AaronMaine is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
FastTalker
Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
FastTalker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 159
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMaine View Post
yes, and I do believe I transfered too much
So, in regards to your original question, this shouldn't be a problem in the future if you are careful not to transfer too much sediment.

Giving the bottle filler a good soak in PBW should help loosen any lodged sediment.
FastTalker is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:04 AM   #7
AaronMaine
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastTalker

So, in regards to your original question, this shouldn't be a problem in the future if you are careful not to transfer too much sediment.

Giving the bottle filler a good soak in PBW should help loosen any lodged sediment.
Thanks, I bottled tonight and was a lot more careful and was fine.....I hate wasting my brew lol, thanks again
AaronMaine is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:31 AM   #8
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Ramitt's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bloomington, Indiana
Posts: 1,116
Liked 69 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Default

I would suggest replacing you filler with one that comes apart for better cleaning soon. They are relatively cheap.


Ramitt is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Forum Jump