My patience has run out - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My patience has run out

Old 02-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #21
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Birmingham, AL
Liked 384 Times on 279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_knight View Post
Ummm. If you have any extras that you can't get around to drinking ... Well it wouldn't be right if we didn't offer to take those nasty, awful beers off your hands.
LOL, nice. I figure that I'll give them to neighbors, coworkers, etc.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:29 AM   #22
DoctorMemory
Lord of the Realm, Defender of the Faith, Director of Corporate Planning
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Dresher, PA
Liked 77 Times on 53 Posts

I'm enjoying tasting mine and noticing how the taste changes. I had one after one week, and it was...meh. Beer-like, but lots of alcohol flavor. Had one last Tuesday (2nd week), and it tasted better, but the flavor kind of evaporated once it made it to the back of my mouth. Just had another one tonight, and it's got flavor all the way through. Very curious to see how it's going to change after another week.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:57 AM   #23
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Birmingham, AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorMemory View Post
I'm enjoying tasting mine and noticing how the taste changes. I had one after one week, and it was...meh. Beer-like, but lots of alcohol flavor. Had one last Tuesday (2nd week), and it tasted better, but the flavor kind of evaporated once it made it to the back of my mouth. Just had another one tonight, and it's got flavor all the way through. Very curious to see how it's going to change after another week.
I noticed a lot of alcohol warmth (as well as a pretty watery character) when I sampled this one before racking to secondary. I know now that the warmth was probably due to me letting the termerature get up too high (I kept it at ambient 65-68 degrees... likely got me some fusels for my trouble).

The warmth was less noticable at bottling time (and the mouthfeel was better). While I expect that there will still be some after three weeks in bottles, I'm hoping that the beer will continue to mellow out.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:22 AM   #24
1Q84
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Louisville, Kentucky

My first brew just hit two weeks in the bottle, and a taste test was weird. Tasted a lot like cheap booze. Oh well. Just gotta give it more time I guess.

Meanwhile, I have a stout and a pale ale in fermenters, and brewing a hefe tomorrow. 8-)

Old 02-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #25
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Birmingham, AL

My pipeline is so thin...

That's okay. Things will look better once the Leffe Blonde clone is fermenting. After that, an Irish red or a Chimay Blue clone...

Old 02-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #26
two_one_seven
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Dublin, OH
Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Yeah I can't wait that long. I usually have one a week till its ready. It's really kinda cool to see the progression of the beer. I stop when I get to the 2 case mark though. A man has to have some kind of line he won't cross Oh, and short pours are the bee's knees..........LMAO.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #27
malevolent
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Boston, MA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My first brew I was lucky that I waited 2 weeks to crack the first bottle...damn temptation

Old 02-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #28
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3702 Times on 3177 Posts

Patience is def a virtue. But brewing all big beers won't lend much to a more immediat pipeline. I like brewing pale ales,IPA's,English bitters,etc. Good beers for when you want a few without waiting a few months for them to mature.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 02-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #29
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Birmingham, AL

I agree @ big beers, which is why the Chimay clone probably won't come quite yet, as much as I love the original beer. Leffe Blonde clone next, then an Irish red... ought to be able to survive a big beer int he pipeline at that point.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #30
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3702 Times on 3177 Posts

I just finished a bottle of the Chimay grande reserve (blue label) & added the large bottle to my collection. I found it at Giant Eagle for $10.99. Now I wish I'd have saved the yeast. Completely forgot.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU