Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Silly Dip HOSE idea

Old 02-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
davepeds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Silly Dip HOSE idea

Masters, teach this foolish grasshopper.

I'm thinking about connecting my bulkhead to a stainless filter that will fit on the bottom of my keggle via silicone tubing. Is that the craziest idea you've ever heard of?

I actually have enough copper 1/2 in around to make a dip tube, I just don't have a soldering torch - just 1/2 tube and slip on 90 degree angles. I thought, if not soldered, then once the wort got to below the bulkhead as it drained I'd lose gravities effect and wouldn't be air tight enough to have a siphon. Does everybody with a dip tube have it soldered together?

Old 02-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 179 Times on 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepeds
Is that the craziest idea you've ever heard of?
:
Not even close to making the crazy list.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Nope... I have a false bottom in my BK attached to the outlet via silicon tube... Will try to find a picture to show what I am talking about...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Old 02-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
Jbear
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepeds View Post
I thought, if not soldered, then once the wort got to below the bulkhead as it drained I'd lose gravities effect and wouldn't be air tight enough to have a siphon. Does everybody with a dip tube have it soldered together?
I have a copper dip tube with 2 unsoldered connections and have never had an issue with losing the siphon. The only problem that being unsoldered has presented, was the time I knocked one of the connections apart stirring with my spoon while chilling... I dipped my entire forearm into sanitizer and reached in to reattach it. After that incident, I used channel locks to ever so slightly warp the elbow so it slides on with more tension and no issues since.

Silicon is also a common way to do it, especially with false bottoms it seems. Either way you go I think would work just fine.

Reason: spelling

Old 02-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
horseinmay
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Go for it. The silicon can handle the heat, and it loves to slip onto 1/2" copper. I had the same problem with the siphon breaking until I fitted a compression fitting onto the bulkhead and used 3/8" soft copper for a pickup tube. Before that I was using silicon DAP to seal the copper parts together, but I would have to assemble it ahead of time and let the sealant set a day or two before brew day. Yours is a simple solution, and it should work.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:47 AM   #6
davepeds
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok - away I go then. Thank you for the confidence