Backbreaking at times - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Backbreaking at times

Old 02-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
FullDraw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2008
DuBoistown, PA
Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts

I am never really unhappy about the labor I put into the love of brewing.

Last night was a simple clean the keg, transfer the beer, harvest the yeast, clean the carboy, hoses, every other blessed thing that I used or touched. Today was label everything that needed it.

It is work, but mmm, I love it. And I'm looking forward to more.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Kokomo, IN
Liked 439 Times on 302 Posts

Yeah, sometimes the work can get to you but it's all worth it once your glass is filled with yummy beer. The only thing that erks me a little are the friends that are never around for all the work and think that beer just magically flows from the kegerater.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
Marlowefire
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Dahlonega, Ga
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Don't give them beer if that's how you feel.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #4
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
Liked 560 Times on 306 Posts

A pull of the handle rekindles my fire.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
I_B_Mongo
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Kansas City, Missouri
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I actually don't mind all the work and cleaning-in fact I find it quite relaxing. I turn on the radio or TV, pour a beer, and work at my own pace.

I'm lucky enough to have all my brewing stuff in the basement, which includes a commercial SS 3 bay sink. It has a spray arm and I also attached a garden hose to the faucet too. It makes cleaning a lot easier.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:01 AM   #6
DarthMalt
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Highland Mills, NY
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
Yeah, sometimes the work can get to you but it's all worth it once your glass is filled with yummy beer. The only thing that erks me a little are the friends that are never around for all the work and think that beer just magically flows from the kegerater.
I guess that's one good thing about bottling: you can always leave a bunch down in the cellar, out of the fridge!

Of course, I kind of dislike all the labor involved with bottling. Really can't wait until I have enough money to start kegging.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:12 AM   #7
yorkbrew
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Bellingham, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_B_Mongo View Post
I actually don't mind all the work and cleaning-in fact I find it quite relaxing. I turn on the radio or TV, pour a beer, and work at my own pace.

I'm lucky enough to have all my brewing stuff in the basement, which includes a commercial SS 3 bay sink. It has a spray arm and I also attached a garden hose to the faucet too. It makes cleaning a lot easier.
Wow some day I hope to have the same. I keep building all these rad brew tools and really all I want is a SS commercial sink. Some day...

Until then I'll fill the void with enormous kettles and temperature control projects

Old 02-17-2012, 05:05 AM   #8
I_B_Mongo
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Kansas City, Missouri
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkbrew View Post
Wow some day I hope to have the same. I keep building all these rad brew tools and really all I want is a SS commercial sink. Some day...

Until then I'll fill the void with enormous kettles and temperature control projects
Thanks. I really just lucked into it. My dad's friend had to demo rights to a local mall. My dad told me about it, and gave me the guys phone number-figuring I could probably salvage SOMETHING out of the ordeal. I got the last sink that he didn't CUT UP with a recip saw...yeah...he was cutting them up for scrap SS. Otherwise I would have bought them all and resold them.

I paid $100 for it, and spent about 2 hours power washing/de-greasing/scrubbing/etc it. Well worth the money and effort. We plan on selling the house in a year, and I've already told the wife that the sink will not stay with the house!

Keep an eye out on restaurant equipment auctions in & around your area. Around here the usually go for about $300-400, but still a good investment, IMO.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #9
yorkbrew
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Bellingham, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_B_Mongo View Post
Thanks. I really just lucked into it. My dad's friend had to demo rights to a local mall. My dad told me about it, and gave me the guys phone number-figuring I could probably salvage SOMETHING out of the ordeal. I got the last sink that he didn't CUT UP with a recip saw...yeah...he was cutting them up for scrap SS. Otherwise I would have bought them all and resold them.

I paid $100 for it, and spent about 2 hours power washing/de-greasing/scrubbing/etc it. Well worth the money and effort. We plan on selling the house in a year, and I've already told the wife that the sink will not stay with the house!

Keep an eye out on restaurant equipment auctions in & around your area. Around here the usually go for about $300-400, but still a good investment, IMO.
My big hang up is the space I brew in, a rental house. I've got to build things I can take with me, which I'm going to be doing in about a month. It's just not a great idea to put in too much plumbing into a place like that. Some day I'll make that happen but it won't be for a WHILE I think.