How to build a 5 gal, 110v eBIAB kettle - Page 9 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > How to build a 5 gal, 110v eBIAB kettle

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #81
sbrbrad
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Dallas, TX
Posts: 21
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by xumbi View Post
How effective is soldering the ground wire to an aluminum pot?
For my grounds, I tried to squish the wires underneath the washer, then soldered it and then covered it in epoxy to protect the connection. Works fine thus far.
__________________
On Deck: Tank 7 Clone or Watermelon Wheat
Primary: EdWort's Apfelwein, Orange American Wheat
Kegged: Bee Cave Haus Pale
On Tap: Centennial Blonde, SNPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #82
elmito
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Miami
Posts: 55
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quick question. I plan to add one 1500w element to my existing keggle propane brew rig. Just for a little extra heating power and to help maintain the water temp while I recirculate the mash through my ghetto herms coil.

Here's my problem. I already have to wrap my sight glass and lower ball valve with foil to avoid burning the rubber off the handle and having the water boil in the sight glass, (the heat from the burner comes up the sides of the keggle).

Since I plan to put the 1500w element a little higher on the keggle it shouldn't get AS hot but I was thinking of modifying this build to use a stainless steel coupling and cap instead of the pvc thats suggested.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003GSKXW8/ref=biss_dp_t_asn do you guys think the element will fit the same into this coupling as the pvc coupling?

What do you guys think? (This probably isn't a quick question)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #83
CalmDreamer
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Athens, Greece
Posts: 14
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


It looks really great, makes me want to switch from propane to electric! How much did ti cost altogether? (Without the big pot)
__________________
I love that stuff and I can never get enough
Short reviews about beers and video games. What else would anyone want?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #84
kpete45
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Posts: 1

This is exactly the level of complexity that I was looking for - does what I want without being overly difficult or expensive. I definitely will add the PID controller. I have brewed 68 all grain batches over the last few years in the "traditional" turkey fryer/mash cooler manner. I want to move indoors and eliminate some of my equipment. BIAB and this unit looks to be my answer. Thanks for taking the effort to document and publish your project - it is appreciated!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #85
Disintegr8or
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Disintegr8or's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
, FL
Posts: 277
Liked 33 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmDreamer View Post
It looks really great, makes me want to switch from propane to electric! How much did ti cost altogether? (Without the big pot)
If I remember correctly, I have $200 in the rig including the pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpete45 View Post
This is exactly the level of complexity that I was looking for - does what I want without being overly difficult or expensive. I definitely will add the PID controller. I have brewed 68 all grain batches over the last few years in the "traditional" turkey fryer/mash cooler manner. I want to move indoors and eliminate some of my equipment. BIAB and this unit looks to be my answer. Thanks for taking the effort to document and publish your project - it is appreciated!
No problem.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #86
CalmDreamer
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Athens, Greece
Posts: 14
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Disintegr8or View Post
If I remember correctly, I have $200 in the rig including the pot.
So if I sell the burner, the regulator, the tank and some of my mtg cards cards I could do that :P
__________________
I love that stuff and I can never get enough
Short reviews about beers and video games. What else would anyone want?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:16 PM   #87
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
nutty_gnome's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Princeton, Nj
Posts: 1,373
Liked 124 Times on 98 Posts


I can't wrap my head around one thing..... How do you conduct your chill? With the elements down there an IC would be difficult to use. As you said, you need roughly 2.5 gallons to cover the elements... so that leaves space to chill around half the final volume. I'm keenly interested in this bit of information
__________________
N_G
It could be worse.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #88
timcadieux
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 330
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts


Since I haven't actually done this yet, I 'assume' that I would simply immerse the IC in the liquid, perhaps hook it onto the sidewall somehow so it wouldnt touch the elements and just give it a stir while chilling. There's also the possibility that I would use a 'flow' chiller...i forget the actual name.
__________________
Fermenting - 10g Galaxy Pale Ale, 10g Burton Pale Ale , 5g Belgian IPA
Kegged - Raging Red Irish Ale, Black Widow Kolsch
On Deck - Captain Hooked on bitters ESB
On Tap - Revvy's Leffe Blonde Clone, Founders Porter Clone

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:56 PM   #89
Disintegr8or
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Disintegr8or's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
, FL
Posts: 277
Liked 33 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty_gnome View Post
I can't wrap my head around one thing..... How do you conduct your chill? With the elements down there an IC would be difficult to use. As you said, you need roughly 2.5 gallons to cover the elements... so that leaves space to chill around half the final volume. I'm keenly interested in this bit of information
I just put the IC in, and let it sit on the elements. Been doing that since the beginning, and no problems yet. I do stir the wort around with a sanitized spoon for some circulation.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #90
Disintegr8or
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Disintegr8or's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
, FL
Posts: 277
Liked 33 Times on 17 Posts


I've finally had the time to "finish" my system. I've installed and plumbed my March pump. All I need now is a plate chiller.






 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yet Another eBIAB Build voltin Electric Brewing 159 Yesterday 04:58 AM
pvtschultz's eBIAB Build, Finally! pvtschultz Electric Brewing 25 11-12-2013 05:50 PM
brekhokie's eBIAB build brewhokie Electric Brewing 12 03-28-2012 02:07 PM
Help me plan an eBIAB build Namocsid Electric Brewing 3 09-23-2011 07:17 PM
Advice Please - eBIAB Build BeerMe21 Electric Brewing 6 07-16-2011 04:15 PM


Forum Jump