How to build a 5 gal, 110v eBIAB kettle - Page 6 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > How to build a 5 gal, 110v eBIAB kettle

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #51
Derick_Z
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 74
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Well I'm in college and plan to go to law school so for the next few years, I'll be on the move fairly regularly. I'm not going to invest in a system that requires anything more than a normal outlet, and I'd *really* like to make sure that I could keep using this regardless of what rental property I may be in next year. Is it a safe bet that anywhere will have 20A? Or do older houses have less? 2 1650Watt elements would draw 13.75 amps each, meaning they could be run on two separate 15amp circuits, right? Then I imagine I could sit the rig on my counter or somewhere near an outlet, plug in one element there, and run an extension cord to another outlet on a different circuit, right? I'd like the 2,000watt elements for faster heating and *possibly* doing larger batches down the road, but I'd also obviously like it to be compatible EVERYWHERE, not just some houses.

Thedutchtouch Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #52
Disintegr8or
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Disintegr8or's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
, FL
Posts: 277
Liked 33 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick_Z View Post
Well I'm in college and plan to go to law school so for the next few years, I'll be on the move fairly regularly. I'm not going to invest in a system that requires anything more than a normal outlet, and I'd *really* like to make sure that I could keep using this regardless of what rental property I may be in next year. Is it a safe bet that anywhere will have 20A? Or do older houses have less? 2 1650Watt elements would draw 13.75 amps each, meaning they could be run on two separate 15amp circuits, right? Then I imagine I could sit the rig on my counter or somewhere near an outlet, plug in one element there, and run an extension cord to another outlet on a different circuit, right? I'd like the 2,000watt elements for faster heating and *possibly* doing larger batches down the road, but I'd also obviously like it to be compatible EVERYWHERE, not just some houses.
Yes. Worst case you could plug one into the Kitchen and one into the Bathroom GFI's and use an extension cord.

I brewed at a friends house with this kettle and did just that. Worked, you just have an extension cord to deal with.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #53
tre9er
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,369
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Disintegr8or View Post
Yes. Worst case you could plug one into the Kitchen and one into the Bathroom GFI's and use an extension cord.

I brewed at a friends house with this kettle and did just that. Worked, you just have an extension cord to deal with.
I actually have two 25' 12g. ext cords that are wired into a double gang box that has two switched outlets (one per cord). I plug those cords into outlets on either side of my basement. One was for a water softener that's no longer in use and the other is for the washing machine. My breaker box has them labeled and using christmas lights I was able to verify when I tripped the breaker, that I had the right outlet.

I use a 1500w and a 1650w element. I put the 1650 into the 20A outlet and the 1500 in a 15A outlet. Eventually I'll extend those outlets with Romex and not have to use extension cords. The current cords only reach so far anyway and thus I have to put my HLT somewhere I'd rather not as it interferes with access to the sink (it's above and to the left, but still kinda "in the way" when I have the hose attached to run off strike/sparge water).
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #54
Derick_Z
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 74
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


And I suppose if I only have access to one 20A circuit, there's nothing I can do? Some apartments I've been looking at for next year are a little older so I may call and ask about the circuitry. I'd assume they've got at least 2 20amp circuits per unit, but I'm not really sure..

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #55
tre9er
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,369
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick_Z View Post
And I suppose if I only have access to one 20A circuit, there's nothing I can do? Some apartments I've been looking at for next year are a little older so I may call and ask about the circuitry. I'd assume they've got at least 2 20amp circuits per unit, but I'm not really sure..
Typically the Kitchen and bathrooms are each on their own 15-20A circuit as the appliances that are used in there (blenders, food processors, hair dryers, etc.) consume a fair amount of power. I'd be somewhat surprised if an apartment was on just one 20A circuit unless it was a studio.

You can always do partial boil or smaller batches. You CAN boil water with one single element, but it will take longer. I've boiled 5g. with my 1650w by itself, so a 3-4g. batch would be possible, or shoot for a higher OG, more IBU's and dilute. Software can help you do that.
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #56
inhousebrew
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
minneapolis, minnesota
Posts: 1,463
Liked 127 Times on 114 Posts


So, I'm a little confused here. You have listed 1" Stainless Steel Locknuts for kettle insulation but aren't water heater elements an 1 1/4"?
__________________
I hate Walder Frey...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #57
WildPirate
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Parker, CO
Posts: 41
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I'd still like to see the controller in detail if possible, ordering everything to make this setup today.
__________________
On Deck: Colorado Smash
In The Hole:
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Dry Hopped AIPA
Keg 1: Pumpkin Ale
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Empty
Keg 4: Empty
Soda Keg: Dr. Pepper
Nitro Keg: Coffee Milk Stout
Bottled: Double Imperial IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #58
Wagon_6
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
, WV
Posts: 78
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew
So, I'm a little confused here. You have listed 1" Stainless Steel Locknuts for kettle insulation but aren't water heater elements an 1 1/4"?
I followed the parts list exactly and it worked so the 1,650 watt element is 1".

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #59
jCOSbrew
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 624
Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts


1" NPT for element and lock nut. OD of element threads is approx 1.25".

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #60
inhousebrew
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
minneapolis, minnesota
Posts: 1,463
Liked 127 Times on 114 Posts


I have a rather dumb question. Well maybe not, well see.

So, I'm thinking of attaching my element this way and was wondering about grounding the element. If I don't want to solder the wire (because I don't have the tools available) could I just screw in a any old screw and attach the grounding wire to that on the inside. In most conduit boxes it looks like the grounding is just a screw on the inside, can I just recreate this or am I probably going to kill myself?
__________________
I hate Walder Frey...

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yet Another eBIAB Build voltin Electric Brewing 159 Yesterday 04:58 AM
pvtschultz's eBIAB Build, Finally! pvtschultz Electric Brewing 25 11-12-2013 05:50 PM
brekhokie's eBIAB build brewhokie Electric Brewing 12 03-28-2012 02:07 PM
Help me plan an eBIAB build Namocsid Electric Brewing 3 09-23-2011 07:17 PM
Advice Please - eBIAB Build BeerMe21 Electric Brewing 6 07-16-2011 04:15 PM


Forum Jump