Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Hop additions late

Old 02-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
Bookem15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Hop additions late

Am going to be doing an amber ale and I am looking to do late additions to avoid being to high on the bittering. I want about 25 ibu's and lots of flavor and aroma, any suggestions? I have Amarillo, cascade, northern brewer, and willamette hops already available. Please any suggestions?

Tom

Old 02-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
cox8611
Recipes 

What do you see the final product looking like? Do you want to offset the caramel from the amber with a citrusy hoppiness from the amarillo and cascade? Or a more subtle, woody and floral presence from the NB and willamette?

I would either group it one of three ways:

Amarillo/Cascade - Citrusy deliciousness
Northern Brewer/Cascade - California Commonish combo
NB / Willamette - more floral notes, smoother, delicate

my 2c. Good luck! What's the grist look like?

R.I.P: Dr. Suess's "Green Hops and Rye" Pale Ale Murphy's Law IPA, Honey-do Hefe 2.0, Power of Pine-Sol, Rob's Brown Ale, Wolfpacker's Wheaties II
Project(s) Completed: Cooler Mash Tun (dual-braid), Kegerator, Keggle Conversion, 50' Immersion Chiller.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
Bookem15
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am looking at 10 lbs 2 row 2 lbs c60 and 1 lb c20 somewhere in there. I like the thought of Amarillo and cascades as a combo. I am not looking for the flavor and aroma to be a punch in the face I would just like a good blend of malty with more flavor on the hops.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
cox8611
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookem15 View Post
I am looking at 10 lbs 2 row 2 lbs c60 and 1 lb c20 somewhere in there. I like the thought of Amarillo and cascades as a combo. I am not looking for the flavor and aroma to be a punch in the face I would just like a good blend of malty with more flavor on the hops.
If you don't mind my saying, if that's what your looking for in the final, try
8# 2-row
2# Munich
1# C-60
3/4# C-20
I think that would tone down the malty but be a solid backbone to the hops flavor.

Do you have any Magnum? that would be a good clean bittering hop to allow you to put a punch in the 10-20 minute boil range without overdoing the flavor additions. If you don't have it, then add ~25% of your flavor additions as First Wort Hops, and that will give you the IBU's with some extra non-harsh bitterness with added flavor.
R.I.P: Dr. Suess's "Green Hops and Rye" Pale Ale Murphy's Law IPA, Honey-do Hefe 2.0, Power of Pine-Sol, Rob's Brown Ale, Wolfpacker's Wheaties II
Project(s) Completed: Cooler Mash Tun (dual-braid), Kegerator, Keggle Conversion, 50' Immersion Chiller.