National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Kettle

Old 05-25-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
Harris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kettle

I am all charged up about my first batch of brew. I am looking at kits and equipment and I am wondering if I should just go with a keg conversion? I don't want to spend money on a stainless kettle only to have to buy a keg conversion anyway. What do you think????

Thanks
Harris

Old 05-25-2007, 07:26 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1213 Times on 797 Posts
Likes Given: 29

You're probably getting ahead of yourself because there are a LOT of new challenges when you go full boil, and even more full boil in a keggle. Burners, chillers, and hop utilization oh my. Start with a nice stock pot that you'll use for cooking in the future.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:41 PM   #3
Got Trub?
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'm with Bobby M on this. If you are committed to starting off with full boils either AG or extract get a good stainless pot and with the money you save get the other - in my opinion - essentials such as a wort chiller and good propane burner. Even if down the road you decide to go with a bigger system having another good big pot around will be handy.

PS for what it's worth I've been brewing for over 20 years now and as much as I have lusted after the bigger fancier systems I love the simplicity and easy storage of just using a pot and cooler.