Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottled prematurely? What can I do?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
rjavocado
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottled prematurely? What can I do?

My imperial black pepper rye is too sweet and too carbonated. I'm betting I should have left it in secondary much longer before I bottled. I hadn't yet gotten around to buying an hydrometer, so can't tell you anything about gravity readings. I only have five 750ml bottles left, but would like to try to fix them so they'll taste and pour better! They've been in the bottle at around 60 degrees F for about two months. I imagine the yeast is still viable? I'm thinking of maybe doing something in the range of: a, popping the caps and immediately resealing to b, dumping them (gently!) into a one gallon jug, installing an airlock, waiting a couple days, then sealing the jug back up. Maybe leave it for a few days to recarbonate, then chilling the whole mess? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Rob

Old 02-16-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
NorthRiverS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I had that problem a while ago. When I opened a bottle, it would foam up and taste overcarbonated. What I did was to gently pry off each cap, allow bottle to sit for 10 minutes, then re-cap them. It worked nicely.

NRS

Old 02-16-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
Stauffbier
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1036 Times on 636 Posts
Likes Given: 2754

If you only have 5 bottles left I say get them in the fridge for a week or two and drink them! Then buy a hydrometer, make another batch, and don't bottle prematurely! Dumping them in a bucket will likely oxidize the beer. If you insist on doing something about it then try NorthRiverS idea..