Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Using tap water via garden hose?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 02:06 AM   #11
JoeyChopps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: warner robins, ga
Posts: 1,401
Liked 279 Times on 189 Posts

Default

The only reason I don't use a rv hose is my water in the house at the tap is a lot warmer so less propane used. I don't want to hijack the thread but might also help the op does anyone know a good way to tap directly off a hot water heater for brew water?


JoeyChopps is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:11 AM   #12
Stauffbier
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,141
Liked 1033 Times on 635 Posts
Likes Given: 2751

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyChopps View Post
The only reason I don't use a rv hose is my water in the house at the tap is a lot warmer so less propane used. I don't want to hijack the thread but might also help the op does anyone know a good way to tap directly off a hot water heater for brew water?
Ideally you shouldn't consume hot water from a water heater..


__________________
Bier war sein letztes wort dann trugen ihn die Englein fort...

Stauffbier is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:39 AM   #13
JoeyChopps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: warner robins, ga
Posts: 1,401
Liked 279 Times on 189 Posts

Default

Don't we all do it every day? So why not?
JoeyChopps is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:45 AM   #14
Snowhere
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Buena Vista, Colorado
Posts: 179
Default

You might but 'we' don't! Hot water can leech out lots of things faster, including heavy metals. So why chance it? I live in a house built in the 50's, so no way I am trusting the old piping to not have tracies of lead. So hot water only for cleaning and bathing, and we run the cold water for a bit before to flush out what ever leeches out into the water sitting in the pipes.
Snowhere is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:47 AM   #15
Stauffbier
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,141
Liked 1033 Times on 635 Posts
Likes Given: 2751

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyChopps View Post
Don't we all do it every day? So why not?
I never consume "hot" tap water! It carries heavy minerals over from inside the hot water heater tank, and it is said it can leach minerals and metals from copper water lines and other metal water lines. There has been a lot of debate on the issue, but personally when there is even a speculative chance that I might be drinking lead I choose not to drink water from a water heater. You should always be cooking with "cold" tap water, and it is said you should let the cold water run for a minute or two after using hot water to rinse it out, so to speak... Google it!
__________________
Bier war sein letztes wort dann trugen ihn die Englein fort...

Stauffbier is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:49 AM   #16
JoeyChopps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: warner robins, ga
Posts: 1,401
Liked 279 Times on 189 Posts

Default

What about in newer houses? Cuz like many I use hot water a lot for cooking? Is there some kind of danger or just crazy paranoia?
JoeyChopps is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:53 AM   #17
jhoyda
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tiffin, OH
Posts: 258
Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
I never consume "hot" tap water! It carries heavy minerals over from inside the hot water heater tank, and it is said it can leach minerals and metals from copper water lines and other metal water lines. There has been a lot of debate on the issue, but personally when there is even a speculative chance that I might be drinking lead I choose not to drink water from a water heater. You should always be cooking with "cold" tap water, and it is said you should let the cold water run for a minute or two after using hot water to rinse it out, so to speak... Google it!
Let's see, I ride motorcycles, fly small airplanes and drive in a car everyday. I think I'll take my chances with drinking water from the water heater. You actually worry about this or is this post tongue in cheek?
jhoyda is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:57 AM   #18
Stauffbier
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,141
Liked 1033 Times on 635 Posts
Likes Given: 2751

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyChopps View Post
What about in newer houses? Cuz like many I use hot water a lot for cooking? Is there some kind of danger or just crazy paranoia?
I don't believe it matters how old the house is..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoyda View Post
Let's see, I ride motorcycles, fly small airplanes and drive in a car everyday. I think I'll take my chances with drinking water from the water heater. You actually worry about this or is this post tongue in cheek?
I'd rather fly, ride, and drive any day over drinking lead, but if you don't mind then by all means... knock yourself out!
__________________
Bier war sein letztes wort dann trugen ihn die Englein fort...

Stauffbier is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:53 AM   #19
ultravista
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 2,136
Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

DOK - thanks for the video, it was awesome!
ultravista is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:02 AM   #20
KuntzBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kokomo, Indiana
Posts: 630
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Default

I've used a garden hose with no problems, no rubber taste, nothing. But ill read these articles u have


KuntzBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools



Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS