Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Brewing and smoking automation in one

Old 02-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
Elfmaze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Brewing and smoking automation in one

I am currently building a brew-magic clone And i'm planning on a PID with RIMS tube electric design with direct fire assist.

I also have an UDS smoker that i would like to add a fan and controller to.

Can these two systems be the same thing? It seems the roles are fairly similar. When a PID "learns" Is it just during that session how the heat is reacting or does it learn over time? meaning if i swap between the systems will i have error?

Should a fan for a smoker be run digitally or analogue?

Old 02-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
JonathanS
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I did a combination smoker and brewing process controller build recently. In my case, I have 2 PIDs, a timer, 1 SSR, and 2 quick disconnect temperature probes.

For brewing process, currently it only functions as a monitor, but possibly in the future I will use furnace valves to automate (currently using NG).

For smoker process, 120 VAC is passed through SSR and the electric heating element (power output on left) on my el-cheapo brinkmann smoker is turned on and off to maintain temp.

I have a total of 4 RTD / thermocouple sensors. Each one I calibrated to slush water and boiling water data points. The offsets have to be put in each time I switch processes. Regarding the PID "learning" or autotuning, I am sure you could probably write down all of the parameters and input them as needed. I have only autotuned the smoker heating element PID.

For UDS smoker with a fan, you would use the relay output on the PID though, essentially an on/off switch. I have not read up or have experience on this mode. My understanding was that PID learning / autotune only comes into play when operating an SSR and controlling an electric element. I could be wrong through.

Hope this helps!

Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10762.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	48233  

Old 02-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
AdamCanFly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I will probably do the same thing with my control panel. Ya'll wouldn't also happen to be left handed pilots would you?

Old 02-16-2012, 03:09 AM   #4
Elfmaze
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Cant say i'm left handed, but i am a pilot / Air traffic controller