Ferment Duration - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ferment Duration

Old 05-25-2007, 04:30 AM   #1
pfranco81
Recipes 

Apr 2007
Long Island, NY

The batch (Northern Brewers Nut Brown Ale) that is currently in my fermenter says that it takes 5 weeks from start to finish. From what I've read, Ales should only take 1-2 weeks to ferment and ~2 weeks to condition, where does the extra week come in? The directions don't call for a secondary (which I don't have). Any suggestions?
Nothing.
Drinking : Apfelwein, and a Honey Wheat.

Medic: Young man, you've ingested a dangerous amount of alcohol!
Homer: The only dangerous amount is none!

Old 05-25-2007, 04:33 AM   #2
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Oakland, CA
Liked 263 Times on 134 Posts

use your hydrometer. wait till it ferments out completely and fermentation stops for 2 days, then transfer to secondary for two weeks. don't always follow directions. they're often pretty silly

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 05-25-2007, 05:53 AM   #3
Blender

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Santa Cruz, CA.
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfranco81
The directions don't call for a secondary (which I don't have). Any suggestions?
Just let it sit in your fermentor for a good 2 weeks and carefully transfer to a bottling bucket. It actually is closer to 3 weeks before bottled beer is in good drinking shape.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
CBBaron

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Cleveland
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

I usually figure 6 weeks for any of my common beers (mot high gravity). 1 week to ferment, 2 weeks to clear, 3 weeks to bottle condition. Usually the clearing is done in the secondary, but if you don't have one you can leave it in the primary for 2-3 or more weeks.

Thats not to say you couldn't bottle after 1-2 weeks and drink it a week after bottling, just that your results will be better if you wait. While you are waiting start another batch. If you can get enough beer in your pipeline then it makes the waiting much easier.
Craig

Old 05-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
People's Republic of Cambridge
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

All the times you will ever see listed are guidelines. I cannot stress enough that every single beer you brew will be different, even if you are brewing the exact same recipe.

Use your hydrometer to determine when fermentation is done, then you can bottle. I usually sample one bottle a week to see whether the beer is ready (I've had some carb in a week while others took a month). Secondary is unnecessary unless you're adding fruit or dry-hopping (and even then its use is debatable).

Yes your beer will get better over time, I usually keep a sixer around for at least 3 months, but no one says you can't drink it all right away if you want (although it will be green).

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter