Are There Standard Recipes? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Are There Standard Recipes?

Old 02-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
smyrnaquince
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Concord, MA
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

I'm relatively new to AG (only two BIABs under my belt). The problem is, when I look for a recipe, the number I find is overwhelming!

Are there "standard" recipes for the different beer styles that get you the basic beer? I'm thinking of recipes that more-or-less everyone agrees makes an APA or a Stout or a whatever, that you could then vary in later batches to put your own twist on it.

My current problem is that I'd like to make an Oatmeal Stout or a Cream/Milk Stout, but can't pick a recipe. Every write-up makes every recipe sound good.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
JohnnyO

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Hamden, CT
Liked 917 Times on 857 Posts

There are various opinions on it, but I recommend Brewing Classic Styles. It's a great book with a solid recipe for every style. Give it a look.

Oh, and don't trust every recipe you see on here. There are some clunkers.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
dukeredhair
Recipes 

Jan 2010
desert
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I found the http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Grea.../dp/0937381500 book to be really helpful with this. It doesn't necessarily nail down recipes but it given you a good idea of portions and base malts/ hops and temps for a ton of different styles.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
stratslinger
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Terryville, CT
Liked 215 Times on 179 Posts

Definitely check out Brewing Classic Styles - I've made a few beers from that book, and they've all been fantastic!

I'm currently making my way through Designing Great Beers, as I really want to learn to formulate my own recipes. So far, it seems a good resource, but I'm still really early in the book...

Old 02-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
cricky101
Recipes 

Jan 2011
St. Paul, MN
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyrnaquince View Post
I'm relatively new to AG (only two BIABs under my belt). The problem is, when I look for a recipe, the number I find is overwhelming!

Are there "standard" recipes for the different beer styles that get you the basic beer? I'm thinking of recipes that more-or-less everyone agrees makes an APA or a Stout or a whatever, that you could then vary in later batches to put your own twist on it.

My current problem is that I'd like to make an Oatmeal Stout or a Cream/Milk Stout, but can't pick a recipe. Every write-up makes every recipe sound good.
I agree with Brewing Classic Styles.

Also, when viewing the recipe database here, one thing I do is sort the listings by replies (click the column header) so the most-commented recipes in the particular style I've chosen come up first. That way the recipes where someone has added it and hasn't posted any results are way at the bottom of the list.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
smyrnaquince
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Concord, MA
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Nice tip on the sorting. Thanks.

Also, thank you all for the book suggestions.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
cclloyd

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Largo, Florida
Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts

I just made Yooper's Oatmeal Stout recipe and it came out fantastic. Search in the recipe thread and it's on the first page under Stout.