Best burner for "keg" kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samsonave

Reaction score
Bought one last weekend and my new "kettle" was way to wobbly on it. Anybody got a suggestion?

I bought the SQ-14 model. It is a square, solid design and my keggle fits great on it.

I went through this same dilemma last week. After reading 300 or so threads (yea I'm a little OCD), I made a conclusion that the SQ-14 was the best choice for me. It is very sturdy without modification. Its not the bestest most powerful burner but it's powerful enough and I like that it doesn't take as much propane as the more powerful burners. Therefore the propane will last longer.

The absolute best is the Bayou Classic KAB-6. It has the proper frame to hold the keg kettle safely, and it has the extra firepower when you need it, and that is more than the other "KAB" series products.

I own a number of burners (SQ-14, KAB-4, KAB-5, KAB-6) and have used others. All of these will work for keg kettles. The SQ-14 holds them well, but can be underpowered for large volumes. It does have a similar burner design which is the "banjo" style, but a smaller version. The KAB series use the larger "banjo" burner" and the KAB-6 version add a larger air port and possibly larger gas orifice than all the rest to be the most powerful.

With any of these you can simmer gently and quietly, or really blast them and they are still fairly quiet.

I was brewing at an event this past weekend and the guy next to me had one of those "jet burners" and it was so loud I could hardly talk over it. It was hot, but heated the pot in a tiny area and could scorch. Did I mention LOUD?

I agree with Dean. I have a Bayou Classic KAB-6 and it is perfect for keg kettles. It has plenty of BTU's to get 15 gallons of water rolling...

Back