Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy - Page 35 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #341
CidahMastah
 
CidahMastah's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
, New York
Posts: 4,242
iTrader: (2)
Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jdowling View Post
So how bad are we talking with the sticks & pebbles? I wouldn't want to mangle my crusher because I missed a rock or something.

I assume cranking down on a rock couldn't be good for the steel.
Personally I was shocked at how much sticks an other stuff was in our bag of amber from TF. Looked like a tuft of hay, etc.

Jeff actually had a rock jam in his malt mill (I have yet to use the amber but saw the sticks during the split, it was a lot).

To me the fact that bierhaus has seen this too, makes me believe the quality control isn't what it should be. That I personally will skip TF for some of these malts. My buddy just bought the 3 roller malt mill for about $400 and I don't need to ding it ahead of schedule.
__________________
Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #342
jdowling
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Rochester, NY
Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Good enough. I'll stick with the kiln amber probably. thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #343
CBK
 
CBK's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Rochester, NY
Posts: 259
iTrader: (1)
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
Personally I was shocked at how much sticks an other stuff was in our bag of amber from TF. Looked like a tuft of hay, etc.

Jeff actually had a rock jam in his malt mill (I have yet to use the amber but saw the sticks during the split, it was a lot).

To me the fact that bierhaus has seen this too, makes me believe the quality control isn't what it should be. That I personally will skip TF for some of these malts. My buddy just bought the 3 roller malt mill for about $400 and I don't need to ding it ahead of schedule.
I bought 18 lbs TF Amber during the round 5 buy. Have used about 8 lbs or so and did not notice any foreign objects yet reading this definitely got my attention. Still have an unopened sack of TF Marris Otter. Sure do not want to ding up my mill. Has anyone else noticed sticks and pebbles in TF Malts?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #344
CidahMastah
 
CidahMastah's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
, New York
Posts: 4,242
iTrader: (2)
Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CBK View Post
I bought 18 lbs TF Amber during the round 5 buy. Have used about 8 lbs or so and did not notice any foreign objects yet reading this definitely got my attention. Still have an unopened sack of TF Marris Otter. Sure do not want to ding up my mill. Has anyone else noticed sticks and pebbles in TF Malts?
I didn't see any in my MO just in the amber split to date.
__________________
Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #345
jeffb418
 
jeffb418's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Clay/Syracuse, New York
Posts: 586
iTrader: (0)
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
I didn't see any in my MO just in the amber split to date.
Agree, all other TF malt is A+ quality

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #346
cgondoli1
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Rochester, NY
Posts: 104
iTrader: (0)
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Just closed out EKG and added 1 NB. Any chance of more cascade?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #347
TwoGunz
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Syracuse, New york
Posts: 587
iTrader: (0)
Liked 33 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cgondoli1
Just closed out EKG and added 1 NB. Any chance of more cascade?
With this crew? There's always a chance

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:47 AM   #348
jeffb418
 
jeffb418's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Clay/Syracuse, New York
Posts: 586
iTrader: (0)
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cgondoli1 View Post
Just closed out EKG and added 1 NB. Any chance of more cascade?
Theres a second cascade going at the bottom.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:53 AM   #349
jeffb418
 
jeffb418's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Clay/Syracuse, New York
Posts: 586
iTrader: (0)
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


All group buy participants have been emailed an optional survey about this group buy. Just trying to gain some information on some ideas we are thinking about.

Current thoughts:
- We want to have 1 date that we have people come pick up their grain. This would be a defined Saturday from 10am - noon. We would be able to give everyone a 1-2 week heads up on this day, maybe more. But this date will slide with when ever we 1) get all deposits from everyone (which we hope we can get within 1 week from closing the order),2) actually place the order. We "might" be able to handle special cases if someone cant make it, but we would strongly suggest making arrangements with another buyer if you can. We just want to get the grain out of our delivery location fast, with minor impact to their operations.
- Add limited splits back in for this buy. 1/2 splits mainly with a limited number of splits. Possible 1/3 splits for certain grain types and limited in number. We would also add cost of stronger bags to split participants.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:57 AM   #350
Strecker25
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Rochester, NY
Posts: 201
iTrader: (0)
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts


just filled out the survey. I havent been on the board in a while so I felt compelled to add another bag and a few lbs of hops. Mainly stocked up on Columbus and mt hood since i just tapped another keg of Denny's Wry smile IPA (second batch of it ive made) and the stuff is ridiculously good

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy CidahMastah Group Buys 1250 03-18-2012 02:50 AM
Syracuse, ny - round 5 group grain buy CidahMastah Group Buys 857 11-14-2011 12:05 AM
SYRACUSE NY - ROUND 4 Group Grain Buy CidahMastah Group Buys 346 10-06-2011 08:25 PM
SYRACUSE NY - ROUND 3 Group Grain Buy CidahMastah Group Buys 650 06-30-2011 12:53 PM
Syracuse, NY area - Group Grain Buy CidahMastah Group Buys 593 04-27-2011 02:40 PM


Forum Jump