Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

Old 04-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #311
brian4508
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997
Started on my 2nd bag of 2-row from the last buy today, so it's being used pretty quickly. (I actually bought a few 50# sacks from the LHBS within the last week as they were offering them for $40/sack.) Also used some of the MO...
Where is this LHBS out in Albany? I go out that way twice a month for work and would love to check this place out!

Old 04-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #312
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian4508 View Post
Where is this LHBS out in Albany? I go out that way twice a month for work and would love to check this place out!
https://www.beerbrew.com/

They are on Route 4, about 1/4-1/2 mile north of where Rt 4 and Rt 43 intersect.

470 North Greenbush Road Rensselaer, NY 12144
(518) 283-7094

They seem to do the sacks of grain deal a couple times per year (last one before this was in Sept/Oct). You have to order in advance and pick up in the store within a week or so after it comes in.

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 04-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #313
copyright1997
Recipes 

Default carapils substitute

Hi all -
A couple/few group buys ago, we did a split of a cara-pils substitute. It might have been BZ-CRPLS, but I'm not positive. Anyway, I just realized when preparing for yesterdays brew, that I am almost out of it!

Looking at the Champlain doc, I see:
BZ-CRPLS Caramel Malt Pils: $0.77/#, "Best Caramel Malt Pils will aid in foam development and head retention as well as add extra body to your beer. This malt is best used in lager beers of all types including Pilsner, Light Lager and Bock beers."

BZ-CHIT NEW! Chit Malt NEW!: $0.73/#, "Best Chit Malt is used to reinforce and to increase foam stability. Similar to dextrin malt."

I'm assuming (can someone confirm) that we ordered BZ-CRPLS? Anyone have a reason not to try the BZ-CHIT?

I really don't want/need a full sack of it (then again I have been using it), but there are a couple of other brewers from the Albany area who might be interested in splitting it with me.

7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 04-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #314
CidahMastah
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Hey copyright - it was BZ-CRPLS. Also, coiled up my stainless herms coil this weekend with the jig, worked great! Went with 17'' OD for my pots.

Also tried the roggenbier - it is awesome. Will be adding a full sack in addition to my split for rye. I really like the stuff and think I found my house hefe.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #315
copyright1997
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
Hey copyright - it was BZ-CRPLS. Also, coiled up my stainless herms coil this weekend with the jig, worked great! Went with 17'' OD for my pots.

Also tried the roggenbier - it is awesome. Will be adding a full sack in addition to my split for rye. I really like the stuff and think I found my house hefe.
re: BZ-CRPLS. thanks for confirming.
re: Stainless Herms coil jig - so, should I order a SS coil and have it sent to your house for processing? (I haven't picked up my pots yet so I'm not absolutely sure on the dimensions.)
re: Roggenbier - gotta recipe to share?

Also, did you ever try that Celebration clone? I did a re-brew with Columbus instead of Chinook. It's OK, but not as nice.

(Did a batch last week and 2 batches this week: "Golden Nugget", an attempt to make a session-like version of Nugget Nectar, Sculpan Ballast Point IPA, Kabe's Secret APA)

Old 04-08-2012, 11:33 PM   #316
jeffb418
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I spend the weekend working in the hop garden. Doubled the growing are and extended the height of my hop poles to 14'. Split up my cascade and Libery plants each to 4 plants. Should be a good year. In addition to those two I'm also growing fuggles, brewers gold, magnum, williemete, perle, nugget, and chinook.

What do you guys grow?

Old 04-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #317
TwoGunz
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts

I have some liberty that I grew in 2 pots last year. I split it up this weekend and am going to plant it up north at my parents lake house. I got a really nice bag of rhizomes from the 2 pots I had.

I planted EKG, Perle, and one other I can't recall right at their house now 2 years back and the leaves got stripped clean. I hasn't dusted them or anything but I might need to.

Cidah, post your rye recipe or email it (please of course). I might finally dip into my rye next weekend- I want to keg and brew since I didn't get to it this weekend.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:04 AM   #318
CidahMastah
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
re: BZ-CRPLS. thanks for confirming.
re: Stainless Herms coil jig - so, should I order a SS coil and have it sent to your house for processing? (I haven't picked up my pots yet so I'm not absolutely sure on the dimensions.)
re: Roggenbier - gotta recipe to share?

Also, did you ever try that Celebration clone? I did a re-brew with Columbus instead of Chinook. It's OK, but not as nice.

(Did a batch last week and 2 batches this week: "Golden Nugget", an attempt to make a session-like version of Nugget Nectar, Sculpan Ballast Point IPA, Kabe's Secret APA)
will get back to you on all of this tom. but yes to a whole bunch of those movie time with the wife

Old 04-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #319
CidahMastah
Recipes 

Twogunz - Will try to get the recipe posted or will send via PM - don' have it on hand right now though unfortunately! The rye gives the brew a really nice body.

As for the celebration clone taste off that is scheduled for this weekend! I will be letting you know the results soon because we will have a few good palates to use as my friend is rolling into town.

We can definitely work out some bending arrangement - would love a little offset to the jig. I am thinking now that a stainless chiller might be the way to go as well. The cost of the 304 stainless is really reasonable. It was a pain to do in the sense that I needed a hand to get the coil to behave and actually do it quickly, but once the jig was set up the overall process wasn't too bad. The coil looks great, uniform, etc. Next is ordering about $300+ in hardware for the rest of the herms build and once last pump. Then Paaint for the stand and finally a venting system (this fall). So wahoo!

Old 04-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #320
CidahMastah
Recipes 

Conical Group buy -

There is a neighboring group buy that I ahve had contact with regarding a conical group buy. I will be getting some details and photos of the conicals, and if anybody has interest in participating then please let me know by pming me your email address. The details are all pending, but I would be happy to pass all the info along.