Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

Old 06-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #1201
jeffb418
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Also thinking of combining my lagering fridge with my kegorator to help save energy. Thinking about getting a large chest freezer and making it into a keezer w/ 5 taps. I'd like to get something to store 10-12 kegs, any idea how big of a freezer I'd need? 14cu? 19cu? 24cu?

Old 06-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #1202
CidahMastah
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb418 View Post
Happen to have a copy of this chart? I always make a 1L starter from my stored slury but sounds like I might not need to.

Also you really trust distilled water? I boil water on the stove in a flask and cool but its a PITA for washing yeast.
I have a copy in excel that I could get over to you.

I used to boil like crazy and do a starter, etc. Then I stopped with that malarkey (have been doing it like this for about a year now with no issues). If I go through the PITA of washing the yeast, my reward is no starters and instant access on brew day. That is unless of course I am using a new yeast, or I decided to restart a 1056/WLP001 after it has seen a few generations. I usually go 3-4 generations.

Once I get say 6-8 jars of washed yeast with 1/2 nich or less compacted in the bottom, I pour off the distilled water and combine all the yeast into one mason jar. Top with distilled water , then let it compact again in the refridge. This method works great and allows me to have a lot of strains on demand (ready to direct pitch) by using WAY less space in my refridge (that was the reason I tried this method).

Old 06-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #1203
CidahMastah
Recipes 

Just emailed you a copy.

My assumptions are listed but let me know if you have questions.
Assumption: 1 liter starter makes 150 Billions cells from 1 vial
20 billion cells per gram if 100 percent viable.
I Used 80-90% (x.17)

The chart works REALLY well. Loosely based off mr malty and other resources for pitch rates. Also, if the viability seems low, just slightly over pitch (year old yeast).

Old 06-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #1204
Mparsons327
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Cidah could you email me a copy?

I too wash my yeast. Right now I have a cal ale on the 9th gen with no noticeable off favors.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #1205
bellinmi88
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I would like a copy Cidah
Oatmeal Stout

Old 06-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #1206
jbsengineer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have used this:

http://www.yeastcalc.com/index.html

With good success. Helps with stepping up.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #1207
jbsengineer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
I have a copy in excel that I could get over to you.

I used to boil like crazy and do a starter, etc. Then I stopped with that malarkey (have been doing it like this for about a year now with no issues). If I go through the PITA of washing the yeast, my reward is no starters and instant access on brew day. That is unless of course I am using a new yeast, or I decided to restart a 1056/WLP001 after it has seen a few generations. I usually go 3-4 generations.

Once I get say 6-8 jars of washed yeast with 1/2 nich or less compacted in the bottom, I pour off the distilled water and combine all the yeast into one mason jar. Top with distilled water , then let it compact again in the refridge. This method works great and allows me to have a lot of strains on demand (ready to direct pitch) by using WAY less space in my refridge (that was the reason I tried this method).
How do you estimate the amount of cells you have?

Old 06-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #1208
CidahMastah
Recipes 

mparsons and bellinmi88 - no problem - I will try to dig up your emails from the buy and send a copy over. The sheet is set up for 11g batches, but you can adjust for what you need (it ain't rocket science ).

jbsengineer - My sheet offers an estimate of billions of yeast cells by a gram weight of yeast slurry. That is the main difference in it. All the other calculators offer cells etc. by a factor of starters and packets/ vials. With this sheet I have been able to estimate how much gram weight of yeast slurry to use from my mason jar full of slurry without making a starter.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #1209
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb418 View Post
Also thinking of combining my lagering fridge with my kegorator to help save energy. Thinking about getting a large chest freezer and making it into a keezer w/ 5 taps. I'd like to get something to store 10-12 kegs, any idea how big of a freezer I'd need? 14cu? 19cu? 24cu?
10x10 Walk in. (Just dreaming. But, I have an upstairs refrigerator half full of washed yeast, a basement refrigerator used as a fermentation chamber, a basement upright freezer half full of hops and frozen bottles (used for keg->bottle), and another small refrigerator that was used as a keggerator but I use just as a heated fermentation chamber since the compressor broke.) I also have a keezer upstairs (the GE 7.0Cu ft) which I use to hold my serving kegs.

Maybe I need the multi-zone gizmo that Cidah is talking about!

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 06-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #1210
CidahMastah
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsengineer View Post
How do you estimate the amount of cells you have?
I estimated by determining the gram weight of slurry needed with the following assumptions:

Assumption: 1 liter starter makes 150 Billions cells from 1 vial
20 billion cells per gram if 100 percent viable.
I Used 80-90% (x.17)

So my sheet allows me to determine starter size base on 1 vial of yeast, etc (just like a mr malty or like jbsengineers link, etc.). So that part is not new. The new part is the gram weight of the slurry.

So I have it set up based on an estimated percentage of viability of the yeast (from what I have read) and by gravity of the brew. For a lager I typically double the pitching rate posted (or more if I have it).

when money frees up I do plan on making my own walk in cooler out of an AC unit. It will be for food and brew storage.