Buy new grains or crush em myself? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Buy new grains or crush em myself?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
sclabrl
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Chicago, IL
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Newbie here....

Forgot to get the grains crushed....

After reading pages and pages on this topic, I attempted and crushed them myself. It took awhile and used a rolling pin just enough where I could see they cracked. I'm sure theyre all not cracked...

Should I make a run and buy new grain that is already crushed or use what I have? The grain is carapils if that matters. Any opinions and attempts to poke fun at the new guy are welcome....thanks

Starting batch #1 tomorrow.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
mbird
Recipes 

Dec 2008
California

I found that having my own mill and the ability to crush the grain myself was invaluable to producing better beer along with increased savings. I usually crush my grain much more than the homebrew shop did and as a result ended up with a much better efficiency. I don't know if you have access to a roller mill before you brew but when I'm in Mexico I use one of these

http://backyardbrewer.blogspot.com/2...malt-mill.html

with good results. You can often find these in grocery stores where they sell whole food/grains. Cheers.

mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com

Old 02-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
sclabrl
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Chicago, IL
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I already crushed them ( if you call it that) as instructed , but ya think I should just use them or buy new? It's my first brew and not sure how bad getting a 'generic' crush would have if any. Midwest said no worries, do I trust him??

Old 02-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
Huisache
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Princeton, TX
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

You probably won't hit your og, this will result in lower ABV, but I am not sure if that warrants buying all new grains. It will still taste like beer and be easily drinkable (hopefully).

In the end though, its up to you to decide.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
terrapinj

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Santa Monica, CA
Liked 170 Times on 126 Posts

if you are just steeping carapils you will be fine - you aren't really getting much if any fermentables from that - mainly just add some body and help with head retention

you can try crushing/rolling them some more if you want - you really just need to crack them for steeping purposes

not worth getting more unless you live really close to a homebrew store

gypsyhead Likes This 
Old 02-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #6
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2011
El Paso, TX
Liked 1048 Times on 641 Posts

I used the flat end of a meat cleaver once. Put them in 2 ziplock, 1 gallon bags and tap away.. I plan on getting a corona mill for the future, similar to the one mbird showed..

Old 02-14-2012, 12:32 AM   #7
BOBrob
Recipes 

Oct 2010
escanaba, michigan
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj View Post
if you are just steeping carapils you will be fine - you aren't really getting much if any fermentables from that - mainly just add some body and help with head retention

you can try crushing/rolling them some more if you want - you really just need to crack them for steeping purposes

not worth getting more unless you live really close to a homebrew store
+1+1 I imagine they are steeping grains for use in a kit? Used with extract just for flavor and body? For steeping you can crush as much as you want, no worry about a stuck sparge there. Enjoy your day!

Old 02-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
jonmohno
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Corn, High Fructose Corn Fortress, IA
Liked 417 Times on 367 Posts

I would get those crushed,carapils are about the worst grain along with white wheat malt to crush without a grind mill. Recrush your grains. Ive used a wine bottle /cutting board lined with a paperbag. I could only do a few oz at a time. Youll appreciate a mill once you get one.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:02 AM   #9
JLem

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Attleboro, MA
Liked 178 Times on 154 Posts

How much grain are you talking about? Are the grains going to be mashed or steeped? What type of grains?

My Beer Cellar

Old 02-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #10
DoubleAught

Recipes 

May 2011
Seymour, Indiana
Liked 106 Times on 81 Posts

I've thrown mine in a blender before, slow speed and a little at a time. Just mind it closely or you'll have grain dust
In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.