Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > strongest 12 oz. bottles?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
enricocoron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default strongest 12 oz. bottles?

I need to bottle a strong golden belgian to about 3.5 volumes CO2. I normally cork champagne bottles but you need 12 oz. bottle for the NHC next month, any ideas on which are the most robust. Sierra Nevada and Anchor Steam seem pretty solid to me....but maybe not strong enough?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 813 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 323

strongest 12 oz i've come across are from Duvel - their beer clocks in at 4.25 volumes. very thick glass.

on the downside, buying duvel is expensive. it's $15 for a 4-pack 'round my hood. how many bottles do you need? i have at least five 12-ouncers at home, possibly more. i'd consider a trade - my empties for some hops, or some of that golden belgian? other? PM me with an offer if interested.

based on what i've read, standard beer bottles start to fail at 3 volumes. that why i've been saving my Duvels - in case i get around to brewing something that i want to carb that high

Drinking: black harvest ale (wet-hopped with my homegrown hops), witbier, hoppy saison, Tripel'ish, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34, imperial chocolate stout
Aging: witbier with brett, TYB saison brett blend, Tripel'ish with brett, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn, and probably some stuff i've lost track of...

Old 02-14-2012, 01:53 AM   #3
pernox
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Look for Belgians - though the bottles (such as Duvel) often aren't quite 12oz. Affligem is a less expensive Blond that has a pretty hefty bottle. Good brew, too.
"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Old 02-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
andymi86
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I was just going to post the same thing. Super frustrating...I have two beers I want to enter that I only bottled in large format bottles because they are highly carbonated...ugh. Russian River as small Belgian style bottles as well.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
Randall
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Green flash has some pretty thick bottles. They do have markings on them though. Never had judges like those bottles.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
SFSpencer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Only 11.2 ounces and they have raised lettering....but the Chimay stubbies are really thick & strong.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
LowNotes
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't know what the bottles are rated for as far as pressure/CO2 Volumes, but when bottling this past weekend I noticed that there was 1 type of bottle that was noticeably heavier and thicker (and darker).

It was from a "Samuel Smiths Nut Brown Ale". It was a present, so I don't know exactly how much they cost, but it was only a 4-pack, and it might be up there near the Duvel in price.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
dnull1337
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
Green flash has some pretty thick bottles. They do have markings on them though. Never had judges like those bottles.
I came here to post this too - the Green Flash bottles are some of the heaviest 12oz bottles I've come across, but as Randall mentioned they do have markings.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
enricocoron
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Raised marking are okay as far as the NHC are concerned....and they need to only be a minimum of 10 ounces. I think my friend said that Costco had Duvel now, price is going to be cheapest around if they do.

Samuel Smiths is a pint bottle, so I think it may not fit in a standard case slot which is a requirement for NHC comps.

In San Diego I normally only see Russian River Belgians in Champagne style bottles like Alesmith Horny Devil.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #10
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 872 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 270

Lindemans Lambics usually come in pretty heavy bottles. They look like small champagne bottles.