Temperature Controllers - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Temperature Controllers

Old 02-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
ruskii
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Gaithersburg, MD

I am in the process of designing an electric brew system and since I am a newbie, I need some help with Temperature sensors.

I am trying to understand how this whole aspect of electric brewery works.

What types of temperature sensors are there?
I keep seeing thermowells used to protect sensors from getting exposed to liquid. Is that really necessary?

What about the end point connection for sensor? It seems to be either 2 or 3 wires or these funky M8 connectors.

I am thinking of developing my Own PID with something like this
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno

My goal is to have as much customization as possible.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
moparx12
Recipes 

Apr 2010
charlotte

yea you can build your own sensors using dallas/maxim http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/DS18B20.pdf

You can daisy chain a bunch of these together. Yuri Rage has a tutorial on here showing how to make probes using stainless tube and jb weld. I made mine for my ferm chamber and keezer using ethernet cable, ss temp probe material, jb weld, and heat shrink.

The M8 connectors are nice but expensive. All i did was install an RJ-45 receptacle in a panel and daisy chain from there.

I would check into brewtroller - it is arduino based and a bit easier to take on than starting from scratch. There is still unlimited flexibility if you have the skills. Thats what i have gone with with both fermentation/keezer as well as for brewing.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
ruskii
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Gaithersburg, MD

Interesting information. What do you think about BCS-460 Temperature Control System?
They seem to be pretty customizable and somewhat not expensive.