Plastic taste in beer - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Plastic taste in beer

Old 02-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #11
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3672 Times on 3156 Posts

I'm betting on chlorine/chloromines. That's where it usually comes from.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 02-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #12
Brutus Brewer
Recipes 

Jul 2006
Upper Sandusky, OH
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foos-n-brew View Post
Brutus Brewer - I don't think that braided hose you are using is rated for those temps. You should use silicone hose for temps that high.
Yes, i ordered some of this today

Old 02-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
michael.berta
Recipes 

May 2007
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I still think it's a bacterial contamination but using non chlorinated water and being extra careful with sanitation would be a win-win.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
Brutus Brewer
Recipes 

Jul 2006
Upper Sandusky, OH
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foos-n-brew View Post
Brutus Brewer - I don't think that braided hose you are using is rated for those temps. You should use silicone hose for temps that high.
What does everyone else think, any chance that at those temps the plastic smell leached into the beer? I read on the web site that the braided PVC tubing is non toxic, so I'm guessing it's still safe to drink. FWIW, the plastic smell I perceived has diminished quite a bit from when I first kegged this batch. In addition, I took a sample to the LHBS and let them try it and they both didn't notice it, only the hops (it's an IPA).

Old 02-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #15
paulster2626

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Ontario, Canada
Liked 337 Times on 226 Posts

I've had this before, mainly with lighter-coloured beers (0-10SRM). Didn't happen with my darker stouts and porters.

Solved it with 1/2 campden tablet the night before I brew 'er up.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #16
res291que
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Thurmont, Maryland
Liked 64 Times on 51 Posts

I would say try cleaning all your equipment, see if you get the plastic taste again, if so then change the water aspect. If you do both at the same time you won't know which is actually the problem. IMHO.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
Chuginator

Recipes 

Feb 2011
, Idaho
Liked 93 Times on 60 Posts

What kind of sanitizer was used?

Stay simple at first - begin by attacking the more obvious targets.

Early last year I went from using One Step to Star San and my odd flavor issues went away - I had a strange taste that I couldn't really put my finger on either - but after this switchup, I've been consistently brewing great beer. I hope it's a similar situation for you.

You might even consider scaling back and brewing smaller batches until this is identified. There's nothing more frustrating than brewing five gallons and not even being able to cook with it.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #18
Bensiff

Recipes 

Mar 2008
, Washington, the state
Liked 383 Times on 302 Posts

Its pretty hard to infect a beer, you almost have to try and cause it to happen. If this beer was on tap and you had this taste as a regular problem then you start thinking about contamination. However, given its bottled the chance that it is infected is pretty low. As a side note from looking at your hoses and removing possible sources of chlorine, I have encountered this with dry hopping as well. I was discussing a beer with the head brewer of a brewpub chain that had a polyphenolic character to and he said that the brewer had a habit of dry hopping the serving tank and he believed that to be the source of the off flavor. I thought this interesting as the only time I have got that character from dry hopping is when I put it in my cornie and let it sit too long.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #19
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Keller, Texas
Liked 254 Times on 196 Posts

If it's happening over and over again and it happens only in your light beers, it's a chlorine/chloramine issue. It definitely gets worse over time. You don't notice it drinking the water fresh from the faucet but you're also not drinking tap water mixed with alcohol and other biological components and you're usually not drinking your tap water after it has sat for weeks or months.

Try using bottled water for a batch of light-colored beer using all the same equipment. See if the problem goes away.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #20
Rivenin
Recipes 

Dec 2010
McMinnville, Oregon
Liked 325 Times on 253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK331 View Post
For your next brew, buy spring water at the grocery store and see if that does it. Don't buy distilled as you want the minerals that are in the spring water. Yeah, I agree about the temperature, if you're fermenting in that range you should not be getting phenols from fermentation.
what he said ^^^

i had the same issue with all my brews till i went to spring water.. problem solved...
Tons of phenols in the water.
Kegged Berlinerweisse - Centennial blonde with Huell Mellon hops - same blonde but dry hopped with ella
240v - 4500w electric two tier