Pickle Bucket fermentation bucket - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Pickle Bucket fermentation bucket

Old 02-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
Jan 2012

As anyone used the Firehouse Subs pickle bucket as a fermentation bucket? They're 5gal with a sealing lid and only $2. As a bonus, that money goes to charity.

My only concern is that it will make my beers taste like pickles. Anybody have experience with these?

Old 02-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3193 Times on 1885 Posts

Sorry but the one thing that can't be gotten out of buckets to use them for brewing is pickles....I don't think you'll find one success story in all these threads. The pickling brine penertrates way too deep into the plastic.

And probably the olives as well.

As all the above threads have shown, even multiple soakings of oxyclean won't work....If it were that easy there wouldn't be so many threads.

As much as I am all for scrounging, recycling and repurposing, and finding free stuff for our hobby. I have to say pickle buckets really just need to be passed by. Get yourself some frosting buckets, or even soy sauce buckets from the local chinese takeaway, but not anything with vinegar, it's an acid and will penetrate the bucket.

Look for frosting or soy sauce buckets, or go get white hdpe buckets from lowes or had....
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
Jan 2012

Thanks for the quick response Revvy! I was afraid as much but had to ask.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Jun 2010
Portland-ish, OR
Liked 1794 Times on 1122 Posts

Seems pretty simple... make some pickle beer. Could be the new rage!

Old 02-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
Apr 2009
Somewhere in the middle of Nebraska
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I have a couple pickle buckets that have over time lost their pickle smell. Pretty much took a year and some sun bleaching to get there. I haven't used them for brewing though. Much easier to stop at the local bakery and ask for icing buckets. The icing smell goes away a lot faster... Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Old 02-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
BIAB Expert Tailor
May 2007
Jersey Shore, New Jersey
Liked 1401 Times on 1072 Posts

free buckets are around if you look for them...i would use a spackle bucket before a pickle bucket...hell joint compound is just gypsym...perhaps don't clean it and make a tasty IPA...just say no to pickle buckets!

Old 02-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
BIAB Purist
Jul 2007
Ellettsville, IN
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

I use a pickle bucket for storing bulk rice. It took about 8 years for the smell to go away.

AHA - How to Brew in a Bag (BIAB): https://www.homebrewersassociation.o...w-in-a-Bag.pdf
My BIAB Kettle - Bayou Classic 1140, Fermenter - SS Brewtech Brewbucket
Beersmith Podcast - Brew in a Bag (BIAB) Down Under BeerSmith Podcast 10
Basic Brewing Podcast - BIAB, Proper Terminology
Basic Brewing Podcast - How to BIAB
Online BIAB Calculator - http://pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc/

Old 02-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
Nov 2007
Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

I used one for my first couple of batches waayyyy back in 1988. Picked it up from a local restaurant for free. I remember soaking it in hot bleach water for a day and then setting it out in the hot summer sun for a couple more. Made decent beer and no residual pickle smell. I didn't know what an airlock was so I had to "burp" it a few times a day for the first week of fermntation.

Switched to carboys after that and lost the old girl.
Primary: Nothing
What's a secondary??
Kegged/bottled: CowPils, Blond Cow, Heifer Weisen, Angus Extra Pale Ale
Commercial Brews in Fridge: Nothing! Finally got the pipeline filled.
Past HB Favorites: Dead Dog Barley Wine (She was a good dog)
Up Next: Redheaded Step Cow

Secret Hidden Mancave Build (x2) Thread Cowbrau eBIAB Brewspace Build Thread