Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electrical questions for upcoming E-BIAB

Old 02-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
aubiecat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default Electrical questions for upcoming E-BIAB

I am currently gathering parts for an E-BIAB rig and I have a few questions for the electricians in here.
I will be running a 4500watt element in a 44qt Bayou Classic pot in my kitchen.
My breaker bow is literally 6ft. away from my range, which is the ideal place to brew beer.
My range is currently on a 40amp breaker.

What I want to do is put a 40amp GFI breaker in the box.
Where my range plugs into the 4 prong outlet I want to put a junction box with a 4 prong outlet for my range and from there run an extra couple feet of wire to a 30amp twist lock outlet on the wall next to the range.
I don't plan on running the range during a boil because I will be able to do everything in one kettle at on time.

I don't have any room left in my breaker box, btw, so that isn't an option.

Is this feasible?

Old 02-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

feasible yes... to code no. Code would allow you to plug in your brew pot in place of the stove but the stove has to have a dedicated line (no other branches). As for the GFCI, i am not positive if the stove will trip it, i know dryers will.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
aubiecat
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_Chicken View Post
feasible yes... to code no. Code would allow you to plug in your brew pot in place of the stove but the stove has to have a dedicated line (no other branches). As for the GFCI, i am not positive if the stove will trip it, i know dryers will.
I may set it up so I can slide the range out enough to pull the range plug and plug in the e-kettle.
I'm still not sure if the range will trigger the GFCI.