Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Sanity check on burner/propane supply
Old 02-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Sanity check on burner/propane supply

Before I get flamed with “use the search Luke” posts, I’ll say that I’ve read several (and I mean several) threads on the use of propane to fire various burners in brew sculptures. I think I understand it all, but I’m just looking for a sanity check to make sure
I make 5-6 gallon batches exclusively, and don’t ever intend on going bigger than that. I’m pretty sure that I’ve settled on 3 BG12 burners based on price, and the fact that everything I’ve read say they’ll do the job for that just fine? (be able to adjust low enough to fire a MT, and high enough to boil in a reasonable amount of time).

Now for the sanity check, starting from the burner and going back to the tank.

I read in one thread that the BG12 has a 1/8” FPT inlet, can someone verify that?

So if I were to use it in a high pressure application, I could/would purchase one of these for each burner; . Hose to that fitting. Other end of the hose connected to this and the valve threaded into the ½” pipe. (I understand I’ll need to pick up a few miscellaneous fittings to make that all go together correctly). I could supply the propane to the pipe using something like this;

If I were to use it in a low pressure application, I could do everything the same as linked above, only a different regulator, this , and I’d need to buy all the pieces parts needed to connect to the pipe and the tank (alternatively could I use something like this? And use this chart to drill out the orifice that I linked above, looks like I’d need to start around 3/32” for 60K+ Btus and go up as needed based on this…

Am I missing anything in the two options above?

As far as upsides/downsides to either, I’ve read that low pressure is cheaper/easier to automate down the road. I’ve also read a few posts that say that you can’t get the low pressure option to put out enough heat, but I don’t know if that’s credible (I’m an electrical guy so I’d draw a parallel… more volts=less amps, but the overall power is the same).

Thanks to whoever takes the time to help me out. Again, I did search through several threads, but none of them had all the answers I wanted, so I just put it all in one so I could have anyone throw the flag if I’m missing something.