Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Why do brewers buy Chico yeast?

Old 12-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #41
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 251

My two bits for the OP.

Some homebrewers are all about brewing for the very lowest price. I understand and respect that.

For me, though, the couple of dollars I might save just isn't worth the time. I don't have enough brewing time as is, and I find it difficult to invest more of that scarce commodity when I could spend $7 for a vial of liquid yeast.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #42
jkendal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_rob View Post
I have a question that I hope people will reflect on...Why do brewers buy Chico / WLP001 / US 05 / 1056 yeast from homebrew stores or labs? This has to be one of the most commonly sold yeasts, but you can get the yeast with a (nearly) free sixpack!

For almost the exact same cost, a person can purchase and enjoy almost six bottles of SNPA. I've got an APA and a cherry ale bottle conditioning and another IPA in primary, all with yeast cultured off my last bottle of SNPA. And I have 2 more mason jars with the same yeast washed and waiting for a future brew.

I know this would be to complicated for someone on their first few brewing attempts, but most of us are beyond that point.

So, tell me what you think...am I nuts or can we all enjoy a little free beer when we buy yeast?

Some of us are just plain lazy - it's SO MUCH easier to just buy it from the LHBS (and I even drink SNPA from time to time).

I like your enthusiasm, though...