Oskar Blues Old Chub clone from BYO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Umm... no idea. My fellow conspirators were handling the bottling, while I was managing the mash on our next IPA batch - our usual work split, so in fact I don't know how they've calculated how much priming sugar for each 22... sorry!

But we do usually go with a fixed volume of priming sugar, regardless of batch/recipe... I guess your comment points out that we have more research/learning to do in this area! LOL

Cracked 'er open today, barely at the 2 week mark.

Wow. Incredible mouthfeel... That smoked malt is definitely working its magic too - gonna be killer in another coupla months, if any lasts that long! LOL

I can't wait to see it with peated malt.

Definitely needs more time to carb, though.

Tried to take a picture; unfortunately it's of course April in Michigan, which gloomy, overcast, and snowing. So you can't see much of the color or clarity, but they're lovely...

Old_Chub_clone.jpg

Well, if you haven't made it yet, get to it! ;) Not complex, but definitely worth doing...

And for the perfect food pairing... a good Yooper Pastie:

pastie_dinner.jpg

What fermentation temperature are you guys going for on this one? Looks like a pretty solid scotch ale even if it wasn't Old Chub.

Just kegged after 40 days in primary (got busy the last couple of weeks). My FG ended up at 1.012 so a little drier than called for which put me at 9.5%. My sample tasted bad, real hot alcohol and a bit of astringent taste, so going to have to wait and see. Planning on leaving it in the keg to carb/age until at least August, so should have plenty of time to mellow out. Hopefully when the temps start cooling off it will be hitting the stride and what the doctor called for around the fire pit.

Yeah, it really does seem to benefit from the ageing... I'm sure you won't be sorry... ;)

We hoard these now, what's left, and can't wait to make another batch...

Haven't seen mention of this yet, but I read on another site that Oskar Blues uses California Ale yeast for all their brews. Hope that helps.

Is this receipe for an extract or all grain? And can anyone help me with the times on adding the additional ingredients? I'm still new to the homebrewing, and this will be my first attempt at something not bought in a kit form. Thanks for everyones input. This forum is awesome!

Brian

All grain, definitely. If you're not set up for all-grain... maybe time to consider BIAB?

It's a very simple recipe from a time stance. 60 mins mash at 155, 90 min boil and 30 mins into the boil (the 60 min mark) add your only hop addition. I have this aging now and it keeps getting better the older it gets. You won't be disappointed.

Here is the scaled recipe I got from my buddy that used to brew at Oskar Blues

5 gallon.

Old Chub Scottish Ale
Mash temp 156 F
12# Rahr 2-row
1.6 # Crisp 77L
1# Weyerman Munich Light
.5# Special B
.4# Weyerman Smoked
.3# Simpsons Chocolate

9.4 IBU Northern Brewer 90min
2.5 IBU East Kent Golding 10min

Yeast 1056 American Ale

I have most of the other OB recipes as well. I haven't brewed this yet, but another guy has and said it was pretty spot on.

I'll post up what I have today.

He wasn't there when they released Deviant Dales, so not sure he has that recipe.

G'Knight is actually Oskar Blues' Gordon renamed—there is a CYBI recipe from a while back here. The thought of it has me craving a good imperial red now… may have to brew a batch myself. :)

I always figured Amarillo was too new to have been the hop OB used, but most recipes have it. I'll have to give it a shot

Just kegged after 40 days in primary (got busy the last couple of weeks). My FG ended up at 1.012 so a little drier than called for which put me at 9.5%. My sample tasted bad, real hot alcohol and a bit of astringent taste, so going to have to wait and see. Planning on leaving it in the keg to carb/age until at least August, so should have plenty of time to mellow out. Hopefully when the temps start cooling off it will be hitting the stride and what the doctor called for around the fire pit.

Just bringing this back up to frame my comments above. Beer got a lot better with age

Interesting. It's been almost a year since I brewed mine. I cracked one open and was kind of surprised how little the flavor changed. At least I won't feel bad about drinking it right after kegging or bottling

I brewed this tonight.. I added a pound of Carapils, and I reduced the smoked malt to 3.5oz. My OG was 1.076 at 5 gallons. I built up a starter all week using Wyeast Scottish Ale. Decanted 3 times, adding more wort. I ended up with a solid 400ml starter. Going to ferment at 67°. I may rack it onto some bourbon soaked oak for aging.

I brewed this tonight.. I added a pound of Carapils, and I reduced the smoked malt to 3.5oz. My OG was 1.076 at 5 gallons. I built up a starter all week using Wyeast Scottish Ale. Decanted 3 times, adding more wort. I ended up with a solid 400ml starter. Going to ferment at 67°. I may rack it onto some bourbon soaked oak for aging.

I aged my on bourbon and oak it turned out amazing. One of the best beers I have done.

I aged my on bourbon and oak it turned out amazing. One of the best beers I have done.

I just racked mine to oak cubes and bourbon last night. Any suggestions on how long to age? I was planning a month. My first time using cubes instead of chips.

I just racked mine to oak cubes and bourbon last night. Any suggestions on how long to age? I was planning a month. My first time using cubes instead of chips.

I actually think I did mine for a month but I cant find the notes on that. I also soaked my oak cubes in a cup of bourbon for a month before I threw them in with the bourbon.

Just wanted to update.. I sat mine on bourbon soaked oak chips in the secondary for a few weeks before kegging.

After 6 weeks, this beer is fantastic! I've had quite a few people tell me that they prefer this over the original. The only change I made, is cut the smoked down to 3oz, and up the chocolate to 4oz. I also added a 1lb of Carapils. After 6 weeks in the keg, it's turned out to be a really good beer. It gets better every time I taste it, too. Unfortunately, it's about half gone already!

Time to brew again!

Looking to brew the original soon. Thinking of maybe adding a tad more smoked malt. Would 1 pkg of US-05 be adequate, or should I go with 2?

Thanks Rich - I'll go with that. Had the real Old Chub last night - it was great. I did think at the time that a little more smoke would work for me.

I'd recommend tasting your smoked malt before determining how much to use. I did the same thing and increased the amount but I actually got less smoke flavor than the original. The reason being it was older malt and the smoke flavor had dropped considerably. A newer batch probably would have been great but the stuff I used had just lost it's punch.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What is the preferred fermentation temperature?

How much time in the primary?

How much time in the secondary?

George

What is the preferred fermentation temperature?

How much time in the primary?

How much time in the secondary?

George
Just bottled her up last night. Color, gravity, flavor were really spot on. Went with 3 week primary (no need for secondary - she dropped really clear, plus its a dark beer anyway. Did 1 week at 65-ish then ramped up to room temp (70-ish) for remainder. Will do a side by side with photos with the original. This is gonna be a fine, fine brew.

Schemy, if you're out there, I made your Dales recipe and can't wait to taste it in a week or so. Saw your Old Chub recipe and wondered if you had any thoughts about the difference in the hop schedule compared to the BYO version? Also I plan on brewing your G'Knight recipe. :mug:

Has anyone had the Nitro Old Chub Scotch Ale. I believe its the same as the Old Chub but on Nitro. THis leads to my question. Do you think if I were to do this clone and simply put it on my Nitro tap I would recreate that same creamy Nitro Old Chub Scotch Ale? Logic says yes, but curious if there is anything different about the two beers.

Thank you

Back