Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Old 03-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #471
olz431
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I Just scored a lb of pellet citra at a lesser known LHBS which was the only thing holding me back from trying this. My citra are 14.1% so I'm also going to follow a lighter hop schedule like that listed above.
Primary 3: Full Nelson Pale Ale
Secondary 1/ Primary 4: Rochefort 9
Primary 5:
Bottled: Zombie Dust, Yoopers House Ale, DFH 90 clone, Two Hearted Ale, Dead Guy, Dundalk Irish Heavy

Old 03-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #472
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default Dust

Has anyone found that using one package of dry yeast is not sufficient for the expected 1.065 OG? Planning to brew really soon.

Sheldon

Old 03-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #473
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 555 Times on 337 Posts

I have used 1 and it worked fine.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #474
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default yeast

thanks for response. Thats what we will use.

Sheldon

Old 03-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #475
m_stodd
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olz431 View Post
I Just scored a lb of pellet citra at a lesser known LHBS which was the only thing holding me back from trying this. My citra are 14.1% so I'm also going to follow a lighter hop schedule like that listed above.
In Milwaukee area? Northern Brewer has been out of US-04 the last few times I've been there, and it's annoying, and Purple Foot is closed on Sunday....

Old 03-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #476
johngaltsmotor
Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Okay, I've got a question on this... I mashed a bit warm (~158) simply because I overshot my mash-in temp. I figured I'd end up with a bit chewier beer due to more unfermentables (which I tend to prefer). 10 days of primary, 7 days dry-hop, 10 days naturally carbonate with corn sugar (don't ask why, just figured I'd try something different). It ended up thin actually, very little mouth feel and unable to hold much head at all (but the flavor is superb).

Other than perhaps my lab-grade alcohol thermometer somehow losing calibration and actually mashing colder I'm confused. Thoughts? (and no, I completely forgot to take an OG or FG so I have no idea)
I know I could just add some melanoidin or carapils in the future to counteract this but I don't want to put a band-aid on if I've developed a systematic problem.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #477
m_stodd
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngaltsmotor View Post
Okay, I've got a question on this... I mashed a bit warm (~158) simply because I overshot my mash-in temp. I figured I'd end up with a bit chewier beer due to more unfermentables (which I tend to prefer). 10 days of primary, 7 days dry-hop, 10 days naturally carbonate with corn sugar (don't ask why, just figured I'd try something different). It ended up thin actually, very little mouth feel and unable to hold much head at all (but the flavor is superb).

Other than perhaps my lab-grade alcohol thermometer somehow losing calibration and actually mashing colder I'm confused. Thoughts? (and no, I completely forgot to take an OG or FG so I have no idea)
I know I could just add some melanoidin or carapils in the future to counteract this but I don't want to put a band-aid on if I've developed a systematic problem.
Do you have any left? Pour a bottle in your hydro tube, and take a reading. I mashed mine low (150) and it's a little thin. I actually liked the taste after 1 week in bottle more than 2 weeks

Old 03-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #478
olz431
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_stodd View Post
In Milwaukee area? Northern Brewer has been out of US-04 the last few times I've been there, and it's annoying, and Purple Foot is closed on Sunday....
the purple foot had the citra. I bought a packet of 04 from nb last Sunday, was it the last one? LOL
Primary 5:
Bottled: Zombie Dust, Yoopers House Ale, DFH 90 clone, Two Hearted Ale, Dead Guy, Dundalk Irish Heavy

Old 03-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #479
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I have been toying with the idea of brewing small experimental batches to try new recipes, so yesterday I actually pulled the trigger and this beer was on the top of my list to try!! So for my first ever experimental small batch, I made 2.5 gallons indoors on the stove vice on my 10G setup in the garage. Everything went suprisingly well given that I have not brewed on the stove in a long time. Hit OG on the nose and FG was .002 over. Pitched last night and had bubbles within an hour or two (probably over pitched...) and nice krausen this morning. I started the ferment at 69F but have since given the carboy a water bath to lower it to around 65F or so...will see where it ends up later today. Very excited about this beer's potential! Delicious aroma from both the malt and hops. Looks like I am going to be at about 6.3% ABV and 60 IBU so I am thinking that it won't be long until this ends up on my single tier! Thanks skeezerpleezer for the recipe and all the posts!!

Old 03-18-2013, 12:44 AM   #480
olz431
Recipes 

ended up at 1062, smells amazing.
Primary 5: