American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without tasting mine yet and my readings being og-1.064 vs 1.068 and fg of 1.010 vs 1.014 what should I expect. Post boil I was at 1.068 but low on volume so I topped off a little which brought the OG down to the 1.064. All my temps were spot on and I even double checked my thermometer ands its calibrated. Don't know why the fg dropped so low but it ramped the abv up to 7.1% so will mine be drier than the original? ??

I have a batch that is drinking nicely now. I'd be happy to bottle some for a trade.

Mine is a bit more bitter than my last batch. Less of a clone but still a great beer IMHO.

Hey Dan would you like to do a trade? Mine have been bottled for a week not and have carbed up quite well. A few more days to a week and it should be done . I'd love to trade if your interested in sampling mine. I really like my beer but I'm no expert .
Hopefully better as it finishes conditioning .

Well my second attempt at the recipe and this time I nailed it. I got to try mine and than hit a local place and try the real zombie. Obviously theirs was clearer. But mine had more citra aroma. Real zombie had a little more bitter bite at the finish while mine was a little smoother. Guessing I was short a few ibus.

1406477227007.jpg

So after five weeks from the start of brewing this I've had it in a keg for the last week at 40° and I've probably drank a good 8 pints of it...and it's still really really cloudy.
I'm thinking I might have a poor starch conversion that just won't clarify, what do you guys think?

152 @ 60m mash

So after five weeks from the start of brewing this I've had it in a keg for the last week at 40° and I've probably drank a good 8 pints of it...and it's still really really cloudy.
I'm thinking I might have a poor starch conversion that just won't clarify, what do you guys think?

152 @ 60m mash

Hmm. I did a 152 mash for 60 and mine was pretty clear. Did you secondary or just primary and dry hop?

It was very close skeezer's original. I did a 4 gallon boil this time so removed the 60 minute addition. I'm a whore for citra aroma and had an extra ounce of whole leaf hops left from an old recipe so did 3oz of pellet 1oz of whole leaf for the dry hop.

OG 1.062
FG 1.010
abv 6.8%
6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 70.6 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 11.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 12.5 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
4.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 4 days) Hops -
Wyeast 1968

I did a 21 day primary then dry hopped for four days then racked into a keg for a week
This is not just yeasty cloudiness coming through the serving tube since I've poured about a gallon of it served at 40°
I've been cold crashing at 33 for about 30 hours now
It still tastes great, it just looks like a saison, heh.

This beer is a beast. I've got my carboy in a swamp cooler and pitched two packs of S-04 a little warm at 68. Once fermentation got going, it shot up to 70.5. I was throwing ice bottles at it with all I had and couldn't get it down below 69, so I expect it to attenuate a little further and have some esters. Will be interesting to see how it comes out, but good thing is I've never had the real thing so no expectation :drunk:

Thanks for the recipe!

I made this for my first AG. Hit OG spot on though at a slightly lower volume from boil off. FG was low (1.012) probably because I pitched a packet of s-4 and half or more packet of us-05. I'm thinking the us-05 "won". I bottled 16 days ago and have starting sampling a bottle every few days. I decided to "sample" two last night and they are some damn good beers. I've never had ZD so I can't compare. Mine are quite cloudy probably from so much late addition and dry hops. Hoping it clears a bit in the fridge. If this is the result I wish I started brewing my own beer years ago.

I love this recipe. I've brewed it three times so far. My last batch was a lot cloudier than the first two so I thought that I would try and clear it using gelatin in the keg (first time trying that). I wish I would have just left it alone. Before the fining, lots of great aromas, after, not so much. The gelatin seemed to scrub a lot of the aroma out of the beer. Nice clear beer, but you can't taste clear. Brew and learn!

Just took a gravity. After 10 days I went from 1.070 to 1.024. And dang is the beer clear.

Want to bump the gravity down a little more. 1.018 to 1.020 (to ensure I bit attenuation for this yeast). Thinking about letting the beer sit in the swamp cooler at its current temp (67) for another few days then pulling it out and letting it rise to room temp for a day before secondary. Haven't worked with this yeast before but seems like raising the temps for a few days slowly helps it finish out? Thoughts?

Also very clear. Shocked at how clear it is with just ten days in primary.

That's pretty high. You're not reading the FG with a refractometer are you?

Mine was down to the final gravity of 1.013 after 5 days so it was even sooner since that was the first time I checked it.

So i just had my first pull from the keg. Besides being cloudy with particles floating around (probably due to the racking being a cluster!@#$), it tastes good. I've never had the real thing so I have no idea how close I got. My beer is very reminiscent of Sculpin IPA. For those that have tried the real deal, does it taste similar to Sculpin?

I fermented for 3 weeks around 68-70 and dry hopped with pellets for 2 weeks. It's been carbing for 12 days at around 12psi. I couldn't wait any longer. I was hoping for a much clearer beer. I've been making beers that have been crystal frikkin' clear lately and I attributed that to the whirlfloc tablet I use each time plus the muslin bag I put over the racking cane. This time, I wasn't so lucky. The muslin bag got clogged up and got sucked into the plastic piece at the bottom of the racking cane several times. I just took it off and racked with no filter. I was hoping it would settle out and get sucked up in the first pull or two from the keg. Nope, at least not so far.

I'm fairly certain that I'm just going to use this same grain bill for every beer that I make from now on. It's perfect. This was my second attempt at zd. But, honestly I wanted something to compliment the citra. Didn't want ALL citra. I threw some galaxy and centennial w the citra and absolutely loved the way this one turned out!

1406898015524.jpg

First time brewer getting started on this site and on brewing!!! Just ordered my hops grains and sa-04 yeast. Pretty pricey for this recipe but this thread for ZD has inspired me! Thank everyone. Can't wait to get my ingredients. Anyone have tips on what kind of equipment will be sufficient for this batch??? I have don't have ANY equipment whatsoever so any input would be great or even a link to a good starter kit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Equipment ALL depends on the ingredients you purchased and how much you plan to brew in the future. All grain, partial mash or extract?

You have no equipment? Do you have a local shop that has classes by any chance? A local homebrew club? The site you ordered your grains from?

Doesn't cat piss aroma sometimes result from bittering with citra? I wanna brew this next, thinking about using a clean bittering hop like magnum or warrior instead...

Lol no cat piss. I LOVE this grain bill. But, I like to play around with the hops. My lhbs has their own clone of zd, named the walking dead. They use citra and centennial. My last batch I used citra centennial and galaxy. And I love it

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=6284976

I ordered this grain bill from a combo of 3 websites. Yakima Valley Hops, More Beer and Farmhouse Brewing.
I do have a local home brew store that I'm gonna check out. Stopped by yesterday but they were closed. I been checking out a zillion YouTube videos so I have a good solid idea on what I will need. I was just looking for any of your peoples advice on what equipment would be sufficient.

Basics will be fine (mash, hlt, fermentors, kettle etc). I would have suggested extract for your first brew day both for time and equipment and difficulty.

F that! I'm going in balls deep! I feel good about my knowledge at this point. I did three days straight of being glued to my iPad at work researching the hell out of all this. Thanks for the info brother!

F that! I'm going in balls deep! I feel good about my knowledge at this point. I did three days straight of being glued to my iPad at work researching the hell out of all this. Thanks for the info brother!
Are you gonna be doing "regular" all-grain with a mash tun, etc.? Or BIAB?

I think I'll be doin a combo of the two. I'll do regular for the mash tun with a fly sparge method. Then during the wort boil I will be adding the hops in a muslin bag or paint strainer bag. Probably the paint strainer bag to keep it a cleaner boil.

Before I went to BIAB, I always batch sparged. That was just easier for me. The one thing I will say is if your going the igloo cooler route for your mash tun, get the 10gal cooler. The 5gal will limit you to "smaller" beers. Meaning there's not enough room in the cooler for water and grain if your wanting to do a DIPA, RIS, Barelywine, or any of the "bigger" beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks Purdue. How much water should I batch sparge with. 2-3 gallons after adding 5 with the initial strike water?

I'm actually gonna check out my LHBS first and see what they have for sale. Then probably eBay. To save money. Unless u gotta connection I can buy some equipment from skeezer?

Back