First GF Beer in Fermenter
Brewed up a GF storm yesterday and thought I'd share the recipe, etc.
The recipe was based on Kershner's GF House Ale (Pale Ale). The day before I brewed I realized the rice solids I had were not GF, so I switched to using demerara instead. I actually did two separate 2.5 gallon batches, including some molasses in the second. Looking forward to tasting and seeing the differences.
Recipe (5 gallon basis. Actually brewed as two 2.5 gallon batches).
5 gal batch. 6+ gal boil.
6 lb Sorghum liquid extract
1 lb Demerara [#2: 12oz Demerara + 6oz Molasses]
1.5 oz Cascade (70 min)
0.5 oz Cascade (20 min)
1.0 oz Cascade (2 min)
1/4 tsp Irish Moss (10 min)
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient (10 min)
1 pkg SafAle S-04 Yeast
Maltodextrin at bottling
So I ran two stock pots (~3gal each) on the stove. The second one got the Demerara/Molasses combination. The worts taste almost identical at this point, but there is a small but noticeable difference in color. OGs are 1.047 and 1.049.
Rehydrated the yeast and split it, using a half-package for each half-batch. This morning one of the fermenters has started bubbling and the other is quiet (which is curious), but it's too early to worry.
At bottling I'll likely add some maltodextrin to half the bottles, as I'd like to do some side-by-side tasting of that as well.
Now the waiting begins...