Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Steeping grains?

Old 02-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
martyjmc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Steeping grains?

When steeping grains, is it better to use less water and then add water to full boil volume after steeping?

Old 02-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've always steeped the grains in the 2-gal or so that I had in the pot for the boil (doing partial boils, then topping up)

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 02-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
martyjmc
Recipes 

Is it better to steep the grains in less water? I like to do a full boil and read somewhere that steeping the grains in less water is better. I am wondering if it really makes a difference?

Old 02-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
doublebogey10
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My first four batches, I steeped in five-plus gallons.
Last couple, I steeped in a gallon on the stove and then had five gallons in the BK in the garage heating up at the same time. I can almost time it perfectly now in terms of having the BK ready to boils about the time grains are done steeping. Has certainly saved time.
As for quality, will tell you next weekend when I have some bottles ready to drink.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 408 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 7

For steeping grains, a larger volume is better, as it helps maximize the amount of sugars you extract.

Even better would be to use 2 pots and steep in one, then rinse the grains in the other.

If you are trying to do a mini-mash where you are trying to convert starches to sugars, less is best.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
Srceenplay
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebogey10
Last couple, I steeped in a gallon on the stove and then had five gallons in the BK in the garage heating up at the same time. I can almost time it perfectly now in terms of having the BK ready to boils about the time grains are done steeping. Has certainly saved time.
As for quality, will tell you next weekend when I have some bottles ready to drink.
+1 to this. This is my process as well.

This is what I have gathered in the last couple months. I don't think you have to worry about sugar extraction while steeping, maybe with a mini mash. The more water you use the more grain you need to drop ph of the water. To high of ph can cause tannins.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
martyjmc
Recipes 

Ok. Ty for all the info. Will try steeping separately next time.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
BakRivrBruen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebogey10 View Post

How did this turn out? I have always steeped with 5+ gal since I always do a extract at full boil. Now wondering if I should be steeping with less water?