looking for quick answer - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > looking for quick answer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
adworld
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Portland, Maine
Posts: 117


when mashout temp is 170deg. and I am currently mashing my grain at 153 what temp do I need to hit to achieve 170 mashout?

thanks
David

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
lumpher
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
texas
Posts: 5,070
Liked 267 Times on 228 Posts


depends on a lot of variables
__________________
There is no "i" in denial.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,763
Liked 8030 Times on 5609 Posts


No one can tell you, because we don't know how much water and how many pounds of grain you already have in there. For my system, my mashout temp is almost always 202, and it's usually about 2 gallons.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
adworld
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Portland, Maine
Posts: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
No one can tell you, because we don't know how much water and how many pounds of grain you already have in there. For my system, my mashout temp is almost always 202, and it's usually about 2 gallons.
that would be helpful huh

11lbs of grain sitting in 5gal water in my mash. I'm brewing caribou slobber brown ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,763
Liked 8030 Times on 5609 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by adworld View Post
that would be helpful huh

11lbs of grain sitting in 5gal water in my mash. I'm brewing caribou slobber brown ale
Ok, using the "rest calculator" from here: http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

to go to 170 from 153, assuming 11 pounds of grain at 1.75 quarts/pound, you'd need 8.6 quarts of boiling water.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Reason: corrected amount, and it was 11 pounds of grain, not 12

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
adworld
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Portland, Maine
Posts: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

Ok, using the "rest calculator" from here: http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

to go to 170 from 153, assuming 12 pounds of grain at 1.25 quarts/pound, you'd need 7 quarts of boiling water.
ok and it states a 10 min mashout @ 170. what exactly does that mean? sorry i am super new at brewing. my first batch actually

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,763
Liked 8030 Times on 5609 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by adworld View Post
ok and it states a 10 min mashout @ 170. what exactly does that mean? sorry i am super new at brewing. my first batch actually
Oh, if you're doing a mashout, you want to hit 170 to preserve the profile and the wort and stop enzymatic activity. Holding the mash at 170 at the end for 10 minutes will denature the enzymes.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
adworld
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Portland, Maine
Posts: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

Oh, if you're doing a mashout, you want to hit 170 to preserve the profile and the wort and stop enzymatic activity. Holding the mash at 170 at the end for 10 minutes will denature the enzymes.
so do I add the 7 quarts of boiling to the mash or all at once?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,763
Liked 8030 Times on 5609 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by adworld View Post
so do I add the 7 quarts of boiling to the mash or all at once?
First, do the calculator yourself, as I didn't know your mash thickness and just guessed at it. But you'd add it all at once, and stir very very well into your mash.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump