Ball Lock Vs Pin Lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiborg12

Reaction score
I am just wondering if one is better then the other. I am setting up a new kegerator and i see a ball lock keg costs 10 dollars more then the pin lock. Does it make any difference or is this just a preferanc:ban:e thing?

Yeah, if height is an issue then get pl, but if area is an issue get bl.

Previous poster is referring to the headspace in your kegerator. Pin lock kegs are taller than ball locks, which can be problematic in some kegerators.

Previous poster is referring to the headspace in your kegerator. Pin lock kegs are taller than ball locks, which can be problematic in some kegerators.

Ball locks are taller, pin locks are wider. I can get 4 ball locks in my keezer but only 3 pin locks

Its funny that this topic always comes up. I think people like the ball locks just because they are fun to hook up and seem to have more of a positive lock. The pins are shorter and wider and there is only two ways to point the line from the connection, unlike the ball locks which can be positioned in any direction. It really comes down to personal choice and size...I prefer the ball locks. The beer will always tast the same! But for some reason it still doesnt last as long as bottles!!!!:drunk:

I'm going to be using converted pin-lock(to ball lock connects) kegs in my new kegerator. I found a GE 6.0 cu ft fridge for 75 bucks that will easily fit 2 pin lock kegs with connectors, without moving the freezer unit at all.

Pin locks or ball locks?

Ford or Chevy?

I'm a ball locks/Chevy guy!

:off: (a little)

Kind of like....Search or Post?

Posting a new thread usually wins out over the search function.

In all seriousness, not trying to be a ******, this question is asked all the time. Size/Height are the differences. They function the same. Pin lock doesn't have a pressure relief valve but there are ways to do the same thing (press the poppet for example). It's really what works best for you.

I really like the pressure relief valve for the ball locks. So easy to just pull the ring.

Footprint (area) is usally more critical than height in fridges/freezers, another reason why ball locks are more popular.

Connections, I'd have to give pin locks the edge since you can reverse the connection on a ball lock if you're not careful.

I like the pin-lock kegs for my mini fridge because my fridge is a bit larger (6.0 cu ft) and has sufficient footprint in front of the compressor hump to fit them, and the reduced height allows me to fit them in the fridge without modifying the freezer assembly at all. I'll post pics when I get all of my equipment

Back