Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When to add malt extract?

Old 02-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Jordan71017
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default When to add malt extract?

I've been reading alot lately that you should add LME/DME at flameout. Won't this method prevent the malt extract from having it's hot break?

Old 02-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

From my understanding, malt extract has already had its hot break when they made the extract.

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I've read and been told that the earlier you add it the more chance of carmelizing and darker/cloudier beer. I tend to want to add it later, but I'm not sure the effect on hop utilization??

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
BamaRooster
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I know many a great extract brewer that add their extract at flameout. In theory this is a good practice. I have tried this and have had great results. But my standard process includes adding the last 10 minutes of the boil. Maybe it's just me but the 10 minutes seems to provide a clearer product. I mean it seems to clear up better boiling the last 10 minutes versus flame out with out using fining or gel. I have not seen any additional darkening of the wort with the 10 minute boil. When I have boiled extracts for longer periods the beer tends to come out darker and have a more muddied flavor, not as fresh tasting is the best way I can describe it.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6051 Times on 4312 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
I've read and been told that the earlier you add it the more chance of carmelizing and darker/cloudier beer. I tend to want to add it later, but I'm not sure the effect on hop utilization??
Hops utilization changes would be negligible.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 02-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

Late additions seem to be particularly effective with LME. Especially if the LME is pre-hopped. You don't want to boil those at all. But even plain LME is better added at flame out to prevent the chance of caramelization over a 60 minute boil. It'll darken & give what folks call the extract twang. In my recipes,I use a 3lb bag of plain DME & a can of pre-hopped LME. The LME has bittering only.
So I use half a bag of the DME,or 1.5lb in a 2.5-3 gallon partial boil. I use that for my hop additions. The lighter wort gives good utilization in the partial boil. Then add the remaining DME & all the LME at flame out. Since pasteurization happens at 162F,then the 180F or so residual temp at that point is more than enough to do the job over a couple of minutes.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1082 Times on 788 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

i'd say it's very beneficial to add half or more of the extract late, especially when using LME. i've found more and more, with brews i've made a few times using both early and late LME adds, that hops utilization isn't really affected by boiling them in a thinner wort. and that brews made adding LME early tend to be darker, less attenuated and sometimes even present the dreaded 'twang' (any number of flavors that come from misusing and/or using old or cheap LME).

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
Jordan71017
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

So all-grain batches don't caramelize or they just do to a lesser degree?