Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is there a too long in the secondary?

Old 02-10-2012, 04:16 AM   #1
AZOTH99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Is there a too long in the secondary?

I have a batch in the secondary that has been there for almost a month maybe a month and a week. Is there a point where it could sit there for too long and be ruined? I'm not getting my kegs until the 14th ish time frame and am curious if this batch is ruined sitting too long? If that is possible anyway.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
paparker21
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Your beer is fine as long as nothing else went wrong. The only issues you'll see from being left too long in a fermenter is some off flavors if you're sitting on a big trub pile for a long time. Many people regularly leave their brew in primary for 3-4 weeks without any reprecussion

Old 02-10-2012, 04:27 AM   #3
ThreeBrothersBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Agree. Unless there an infection your fine. One thing though is if you have late addition hops the floral notes will dissipate over Tim. We regularly have our beers in primary for 3-4 weeks and another 3-6 weeks depending on the style.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:30 AM   #4
ryanmcl
Recipes 

What type of beer is in there?

Old 02-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #5
Dawnhulio
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I routinely leave the secondary for two weeks minimum, and have had one sit for a full month. The one that sat for a month developed a clove note that - though not a part of the beer style I was brewing - was an interesting development. I'm sure this was due to the fact that it sat for an extended time in higher than normal temps (it was July, after all). If anything you'll end up with something pleasantly unexpected and still drinkable, if not palatable.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
AZOTH99
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

It's a fat boy amber ale. thanks for all the replies.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
ajbram
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

IPAs can lose some of their late hop aromas, but in general the longer the better.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I know someone that has beer in both primary on yeast cakes and secondaries off yeast cakes. Both have been there for over 6 months. He claims autolysis (or off flavors from it) is a myth and he is going to prove it. His plan is to bottle both after 1 full year. YMMV.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
I know someone that has beer in both primary on yeast cakes and secondaries off yeast cakes. Both have been there for over 6 months. He claims autolysis (or off flavors from it) is a myth and he is going to prove it. His plan is to bottle both after 1 full year. YMMV.
The myth is that sitting on the yeast creates what most people consider to be off flavors. I can guarantee you that the beers this person is testing will taste different from one another, particulary if they are of a lighter style.

As a scientist, I've been taught that autolysis is a normal part of the yeast life cycle, and once fermentation is complete, some of the yeast will start to autolyze. To be sure the majority of the yeast are still intact. Wine makers are well aware of this and will often do an extended aging on the yeast (particularly for Chardonnay and Sparkling wines) to pick up some bready/yeasty note from the yeast that have undegone autolysis. The problem arises when the yeast are mishandled (typically too warm, or infected). In this case you can get A LOT of yeast autolyzing, which can result in stronger flavors. However, keep the yeast happy and then the flavors are mild and many folks like them.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 02-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #10
Zalf
Recipes 

Pretty sure there is a too long point. I dropped out of the hobby for a year and a half. Had a brown ale in a secondary carboy at that time. So it sat. Getting back into brewing and figured what the heck lets see how it is. It was an extreme mixture of hot, sour, and chemical taste and smell.

No infection and it was kept around 70-75 degrees with no direct or indirect light. Next to no debris. So nothing obvious except for time.

So my answer is too long = something less than 18 months.