Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > About to brew some High ABV beers

Old 02-10-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
Ultrazord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default About to brew some High ABV beers

Next on tap I have 2 kits. Both are from midwest. Their Grand Cru and their Double IPA. Both are somewhat new to me as I have only brewed a Belgian IPA, but not a belgian or IPA. A few questions since both have ridiculously high ABV(8-11%).

I have 2 bottling buckets and 2 6 gallon carboys. Should I Primary in the buckets or bottles? Keep in mind I will want to dry hop the IPA, potentially in secondary.

I've never used a blowoff but both kits say it may be needed....is there an easy way to make one? Do those work if I use the bucket for primary?

Dry hopping an IPA....I heard the hops expand so be careful in a carboy. Can I use a bag and dry hop or should I use the bag on the siphon if I dry hop in the carboy?

Thanks for any help. These are two of my favorite styles and I hope they turn out great!

Old 02-10-2012, 03:51 AM   #2
volktc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Easiest way I know to make a blow off is to get a 3 piece hydrolock, take off the cap and middle piece and just run a siphon hose from the remaining piece to a bowl or glass filled with star san and just dip the other end of the hose in it.