Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Two Hearted Ale Extract Recipe?

Old 02-09-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
McGlothan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Two Hearted Ale Extract Recipe?

I just bottled my first batch last night. I cant wait to sample in two weeks! I went with the Ninkasi Tricerahops double ipa for my first shot. The uncarbonated beer that didnt quite fill the last bottle tasted amazing and packed a punch. I want to try to make Bells Two Hearted Ale next. Does anyone have a recipe for this beer? I am equipped for extract brewing for now. Cheers!

Old 02-09-2012, 02:58 AM   #2
40watt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I've heard good things about about Northern Brewers Dead Ringer, it used to be called Three Hearted Ale. Lots of folks like that one.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:00 AM   #3
orcus332
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just put together a recipe for a partial mash so i've been reading a lot of posts on two hearted clones. I've heard a lot of good things about the kit from northern brewer
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/b...tract-kit.html
Looks like there are some grains to steep, but shouldn't be an issue with whatever set-up you have.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
McGlothan
Recipes 

Looks like the Dead Ringer is the one. Can I just round up those ingredients from my local homebrew store or should I order the kit online? The Tricerahops was a partial mash so I will be fine with this one. Thanks for the advice. Ive been enjoying craft beer for years and just began home brewing. Why did I wait so long?!

Old 02-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
orcus332
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I guess you have three options with that. One, would be you could come up with your own recipe if you have brewing software (not recommended if you only have one batch under your belt. Two, you could find some other partial mash recipes for a two hearted clone on the internet, or three, just buy the kit and everything will be simplified for you.

I recommend just going with the kit since you're fairly new to brewing. I don't think you'll have access to Northern Brewer's recipe until you buy it (I'm sure a small percent of the kit sale includes them sharing their recipe, and it's usually in bad taste to post a companies recipe online). If you find that you you want to brew it again, you could certainly just get the ingredients separately since you'll have the recipe, but i've found that it's not that much cheaper than just buying the kit.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3643 Times on 2478 Posts
Likes Given: 2442

Buy the kit and use it's ingredients to play around in Beersmith or whatever software you want to try. I've heard only good things about the NB kits and I know someone who made the 2H and was very pleased even though they were very new at brewing.

To make it even more special, buy a 6-pack of Bells amber, or some other light ale they make and build up a yeast starter of their own house yeast. Only takes a glass jar, some starter wort (dry extract boiled in some water) and some yeast from the bottom of some bottles of Bells.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
McGlothan
Recipes 

Ill try the three hearted from NB. Unfortunately, I can't get Bells in CO, this prompted the desire to make it. I do have some wonderful homebrew supply stores nearby though. From the little research Ive done, it seems NB kit is hands down the best. I would like to learn more about making yeast starters, I have never tried this. My first beer kit came with yeast specific for the recipe

Old 02-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3643 Times on 2478 Posts
Likes Given: 2442

Google yeast starters. it's as easy as mixing up some 1.030-1.040 wort with extract and water and boiling on stove. Then chill and combine with liquid yeast in a sanitized jar. Place foil on top to keep the bugs out.

Shake it every once in a while.

To harvest yeast from bottles, I carefully pour until I start to see the yeast heading to the lip and then stop it, or until there is about a 1/4" or maybe a little less left in the bottle. Then I quickly recap and place back in fridge. After a few are drank I swish the yeast up into suspension and pour it into the starter wort and place the foil.

A stirplate makes the growth much more efficient, but not having one shouldn't stop you from trying it out.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
ajlee
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Adventures in Home Brewing has this posted on their website.

http://www.homebrewing.org/assets/im...artedClone.pdf

They sell it as a kit. Hope this helps!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #10
McGlothan
Recipes 

Thank you ajlee! Im going to the brew shop with this printout and see if I can round this up. Im too impatient to wait for mail