Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > New brewer looking for some DIY input/opinions

Old 02-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #11
duckdogs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by evwoller View Post
I guess most people just don't think to use electrical appliances in a closet? I wonder how warm the closet is going to be with the fridge on.

If you know any handymen I am sure they will install a outlet for cheap, it really is a very small job.
Tempt them with a nice homebrew they may do it for free...well if you buy the outlet

Old 02-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdogs View Post
Tempt them with a nice homebrew they may do it for free...well if you buy the outlet
Hahaha...I know a guy whose going to do it all for $100 bucks. I know I could probably find it cheaper, but whatever.

Prim #1: Bronco Tamp
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Bottled:

Old 02-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #13
evwoller
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ya 100 bucks is a little steep, make sure you have no other electrical problems that need solving while he is there!

I think i got my 240 outlet done for 60 bucks. I would have done it myself but I figured it would be nice to blame someone else if anything went wrong considering 240 is dangerous where as 120 is meh.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #14
cdubbaya
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I would just use a temp controller and put your 1 gallon fermenter in there. If you need space for a blow off tube, cut a hole in the door the size of your tube and caulk around it. I'd leave it there as a permanent blow off tube. May not look the nicest, but it will work.

That said, I can't imagine going through all that work for 1 gallon of beer.

Edit: Is there a reason you need this in the closet? With the enclosed ferm chamber, there's no reason for a dark space. Not to mention the heat it gives off as another poster mentioned above.

Honey Double IPA

Reason: Saw the electrical problem above

Old 02-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #15
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLoon View Post
I would just use a temp controller and put your 1 gallon fermenter in there. If you need space for a blow off tube, cut a hole in the door the size of your tube and caulk around it. I'd leave it there as a permanent blow off tube. May not look the nicest, but it will work.

That said, I can't imagine going through all that work for 1 gallon of beer.

Edit: Is there a reason you need this in the closet? With the enclosed ferm chamber, there's no reason for a dark space. Not to mention the heat it gives off as another poster mentioned above.
I don't have any other room. We're in the midst of selling our condo, so it's been completely and utterly downsized for when we need to "show it." So yes, the closet is really the only option. Would I like to do 5 gallon batches? Yes. Can I do to the potential sale of our place? Not even close.
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Bottled:

Old 02-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #16
cdubbaya
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffoC6 View Post
I don't have any other room. We're in the midst of selling our condo, so it's been completely and utterly downsized for when we need to "show it." So yes, the closet is really the only option. Would I like to do 5 gallon batches? Yes. Can I do to the potential sale of our place? Not even close.
Either way, the heat from the fridge may not be an issue. If you set the fridge to around 60-65 degrees (or whatever your ferm schedule requires), the fridge may not run often enough to matter. Just make sure the seal on the fridge door works well. Those things are meant to be run much colder, and have a fairly small footprint since you typically place them in small areas like college dorms.

Honey Double IPA

Old 02-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #17
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLoon View Post
Either way, the heat from the fridge may not be an issue. If you set the fridge to around 60-65 degrees (or whatever your ferm schedule requires), the fridge may not run often enough to matter. Just make sure the seal on the fridge door works well. Those things are meant to be run much colder, and have a fairly small footprint since you typically place them in small areas like college dorms.
Not sure what you mean. My walk-in utility closet is pretty darn big.
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Bottled:

Old 02-10-2012, 01:59 AM   #18
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Honestly, if in your shoes, I'd just say **** it and brew a few times in the heat ans see how it turns out.

Last beer I did in the tail end of summer, room temp spiked to 90 during active fermentation. Came out great.