Are we working too hard? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Are we working too hard?

Old 02-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
Piratwolf

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Va Beach, VA
Liked 128 Times on 119 Posts

So I'm listening to CYBI on process cloning, only to hear the remarkable information that Tasty McDole always uses a 9 gallon strike when he's brewing his standard 12 gal batch. No matter what grain bill--session pale ale or RIS--this master of cloning and creator of Janet's Brown never changes the volume. Then Jamil & the others jump in saying that mash thickness appears to be irrelevant to efficiency and that the key is a good grind and a slow sparge. Tasty's standard runoff is 45 mins.

I don't know about you, but I wish I'd heard this last fall when I started AG... Woulda saved me a lotta math! I'm gonna try this approach next week on 12 gal of my Imperial Red.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7413 Times on 6080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf View Post
I don't know about you, but I wish I'd heard this last fall when I started AG... Woulda saved me a lotta math! I'm gonna try this approach next week on 12 gal of my Imperial Red.
Meh. You use what works for you.

On my system I never pre-calc strike volumes. I heat my HLT to strike temp, infuse til I see 2" of water over top of the mash, heat as needed to get back to rest temp, kick on the pump and the RIMS and walk away for an hour.

When it's time for the sparge I note how much I took out of the hlt and sparge with the balance after that. Sometimes it's 1 gallon, sometimes it's 3.

As long as my target numbers hit I don't stress on volumes.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
H-ost

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Bellevue, WA
Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts

I don't really calculate my volumes.

I brew 10 gallons, I buy 14-15 gallons of water, mash with enough to cover the grain by a few inches, sparge with the remainder until I end up with about 11-13gallons pre boil, boil down to about 10.5 gallons. Through transfers, grain absorption, dead space, spills, and small inefficiencies in my brew day I lose the few extra gallons.

This is how I do most of my batches as long as the grain bill isn't too small. I like my process and I think I make pretty darn good beer.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
RDWHAHB
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Denver
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

I just multiply my grain # by 1.25 or 1.5 to get quarts. To me that's not a lot of math.

XXguy Likes This 
Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
Piratwolf

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Va Beach, VA
Liked 128 Times on 119 Posts

@ Gila & H-ost-- both of your ending comments are exactly why I posted this thread. It seems like you both have a straightforward, practical, and effective process.

I always feel like I'm re-calculating, especially because I like to do double batch days sometimes. The idea of a no-fuss approach takes a lot of stress out my brew days and makes me like it even more!

Thanks for posting your processes & experience!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
TastyMcD
Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf View Post
The idea of a no-fuss approach takes a lot of stress out my brew days and makes me like it even more!
Thanks for listening. Congrats for "getting it".

Tasty

Old 02-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4774 Times on 3222 Posts

I usually just round to a nice, easy to remember and easy to measure amount. Usually BS sets the strike amount and I round it up and round down on the sparge.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
JonK331

Recipes 

Nov 2009
Fremont, CA
Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts

I used to eyeball everything but recently started calculating strike and sparge volumes and I do find that it saves some time. Less water to heat equals less time and less gas.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2009
St.Charles, MO
Liked 59 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I usually just round to a nice, easy to remember and easy to measure amount. Usually BS sets the strike amount and I round it up and round down on the sparge.
I also do this. What I don't get is why a slow sparge is needed? I get ~80% eff with double batch sparge and that doesn't take me anywhere near 45 min.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
JonK331

Recipes 

Nov 2009
Fremont, CA
Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakudwn View Post
I also do this. What I don't get is why a slow sparge is needed? I get ~80% eff with double batch sparge and that doesn't take me anywhere near 45 min.
Slow sparge would be for fly sparging. Batch is different.