Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Candy Sugar The Right Way (hint we've been doing it wrong)

Old 02-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #21
ddrrseio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
If you look at the top of the chart there are labels for each of the rows. the 5 or 7 is minutes boiled. Also in the text there is a short outline of what was in each mix and the amounts.

The reason for all the trials was to see which set of conditions gave the best results
thanks, that makes sense. when i read it the first time i interpreted time to mean 'trial #' - noob question after all

Old 02-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #22
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercameron View Post
How far does DAP go - how many batches would 2 oz make?
Well I was using 1/4tsp per cup of sugar, so a 2oz tube would last quite awhile.
Without going and measuring how much nutrient I used, it would be hard to be exact, but in all of my trials I only used about a half of a tube, and I did at least 2x as many as Im showing

Old 03-03-2012, 12:21 AM   #23
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

So there has been some discussion about what D2 syrup really is, with some trying to argue that its nothing more than pure sugar that has been processed somehow

Looking at the spec sheet, this seems to be the case, however I sincerely doubt that. So Im going to run some tests on it to see whats really in there, right now Im going to measure...

Ash content
Iron
Calcium
Mg
Total Nitrogen

and Im trying to line up an hplc ms to get sugar compositions (glucose:sucrose:fructose)

Is there anything else that you think could be interesting/beneficial to measure??

Old 03-03-2012, 03:33 AM   #24
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 7

OK, I've read this thread and read the blog, but I'm confused as to what you do to make this. Maybe I missed it, but it seems you have given a lot of different combinations and it's a 'pick whatever you like'.

Can you post what you think is the best 'recipe' to replicate candi-sugar.

Sorry, maybe it's late and I need to re-read it all again tomorrow.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #25
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
OK, I've read this thread and read the blog, but I'm confused as to what you do to make this. Maybe I missed it, but it seems you have given a lot of different combinations and it's a 'pick whatever you like'.

Can you post what you think is the best 'recipe' to replicate candi-sugar.

Sorry, maybe it's late and I need to re-read it all again tomorrow.
I think I may have been purposely ambiguous about an exact mix, but Lime + Nutrient + sugar is the way to go, I'll have to take another look to make sure thats obvious.

In the trials I did, the one that tasted the best was

1/2tsp lime
1/2tsp nutrient
1c sugar

this one developed very strong chocolate flavors

Old 03-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #26
gugguson
Recipes 

Likes Given: 15

Two questions:

1. Lime, it is dried right? I don't know if it is available in my country - is there a recommended replacement?
2. I have dried yeast nutritient. I don't know if it is the one you are using. Is some of these what you recommend: http://morebeer.com/search/102174/be...Yeast_Nutrient

Old 03-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #27
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugguson View Post
Two questions:

1. Lime, it is dried right? I don't know if it is available in my country - is there a recommended replacement?
slaked lime is also known as calcium hydroxide, its used for pickling cucumbers to keep them crisp. Nothing else Ive found seems to work as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugguson View Post
2. I have dried yeast nutritient. I don't know if it is the one you are using. Is some of these what you recommend: http://morebeer.com/search/102174/be...Yeast_Nutrient
While all the yeast nutrients will most likely produce similar flavors, they all will have their own nuances. I am gearing up to do a trial with DAP, WYeast nutrient, and any other I can get my hands on soon.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #28
StMarcos
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Someone needs to take one for the team, become a monk, move to Europe, make D2, and then pm one of us how it's done.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #29
mistercameron
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StMarcos
Someone needs to take one for the team, become a monk, move to Europe, make D2, and then pm one of us how it's done.
Why thank you! We fully accept your offer to relocate for our benefit. You even have a head start, as it appears you are already a saint... Saint Marcos.

The generosity of HBT members never fails to amaze me.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #30
gugguson
Recipes 

Likes Given: 15

I have problems finding slaked lime/calcium hydroxide here in Iceland. Is there anywhere on the net which I can order it internationally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
slaked lime is also known as calcium hydroxide, its used for pickling cucumbers to keep them crisp. Nothing else Ive found seems to work as well

While all the yeast nutrients will most likely produce similar flavors, they all will have their own nuances. I am gearing up to do a trial with DAP, WYeast nutrient, and any other I can get my hands on soon.