Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Recipe says wait 6 weeks!?

Old 02-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
michaeljones147
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Recipe says wait 6 weeks!?

I'm making an American pale ale, and the recipe says wait 2 weeks in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, then bottle and wait to weeks to drink... Does this sound right?

Old 02-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
jester5120
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 20

yeah. my pale ales and ipas are usually 10 days primary 1 week secondary then 2 weeks bottle conditioning. they hit their fg in about 3-4 days so i give them an extra week in primary before i transfer.

Kegged Hip Hop IPA, Chocolate Cream Stout

Old 02-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
JohnnyO
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 909 Times on 852 Posts
Likes Given: 524

Yes. At least that long.

Don't transfer from primary until you have a steady FG. Use your hydrometer.
Unless you are dryhopping or aging your beer, you don't necessarily have to put it into a secondary. Typically, I let my beers go 3-4 weeks, cold crash and keg.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
jax
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyo View Post
yes. At least that long.

Don't transfer from primary until you have a steady fg. Use your hydrometer.
Unless you are dryhopping or aging your beer, you don't necessarily have to put it into a secondary. Typically, i let my beers go 3-4 weeks, cold crash and keg.
+1

Old 02-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Nowadays many of us opt for a month long primary rather than racking to a secondary, though when I do secondary, or recommend it to folks I tend to do a 2 on 2, just as those instructions say. But I don't recomened anyone rack to a secondary indiscriminately based purely on a calendar.

It should be done based on 2 gravity readings over three consequetive days to insure the beer is done, if one was considering racking on day 14, then I would take a reading on day 12, and then 2 days later- if the numbers match, the fermentation SHOULD be complete, and racking can commence.

As to how long a beer takes to carb and condition, that really can't be quantified. A beer takes as long as it needs to to carbonate and condition.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out. You have green beer.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
michaeljones147
Recipes 

Sounds good, and yes I'm dry hopping, so it sounds like I should use a secondary then.

How often should I check with my hydrometer? My og was 1.065 and out of impatience I checked at 2 days for fun, and it was 1.035, so its doing work, so now I just wait 10 more days and rack to secondary?

Old 02-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 1250

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljones147 View Post
Sounds good, and yes I'm dry hopping, so it sounds like I should use a secondary then.

How often should I check with my hydrometer? My og was 1.065 and out of impatience I checked at 2 days for fun, and it was 1.035, so its doing work, so now I just wait 10 more days and rack to secondary?
Generally you should expect Ale's to need at least 14 days in the primary at the fermentation temperature to finish. I don't check FG readings until day 14. Check the gravity reading 48 hours apart and if it's stable you can bottle if you are impatient or wait another week or 2 so the yeast can clean up some off flavors. Once you bottle the beer the yeast stop cleaning up off flavors and start eating the priming sugar so you have to wait even longer for them to get back to cleaning up those off flavors! Patience, my friend.
Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale

Old 02-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
michaeljones147
Recipes 

Roger, thanks man

Old 02-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljones147 View Post
Not necessarily, a lot of folks, myself included dryhop in primary, adding them in week three and bottling a week later.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
michaeljones147
Recipes 

Note, also since this is my first brew, will the foam on the wort from fermentation settle out by the time I need to check my final gravity?